By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Pierre Gandon

Thread dedicated to the work and (biographical) information of the engraver Pierre Gandon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian24/11/2013 09:24:20
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Remember these?

24a.jpg

I showed these before but now I've managed to finally lay my hands on this one:

24b.jpg

As you can see, the top item are colour proofs made with the 1f plate, but this new item is a colour proof made with an undenominated plate.

It's not a regular die proof, because it is printed on stamp paper and it came with a similar one, which includes plate markings.

24c.jpg

So why would they have made a printing plate without denomination? It's not logical to have done this just for making colour proofs, because they obviously could have and have done that with the the 1c plate.

Anyone any ideas?

Edited By Adrian on 24/11/2013 09:40:38

Alex24/11/2013 09:41:09
543 forum posts
3 photos

These are going on ebay at the moment.

monaco1.jpg

monaco2.jpg

Not something I usually go for as so many are fakes, copies, whatever....

Adrian24/11/2013 09:48:32
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Love them! Do you have a link, please?

Real copies usually have a Musee de Poste stamp on the back.

Alex24/11/2013 10:44:08
543 forum posts
3 photos

Sorry, can't seem to Link them, but just look on ebay. I typed in colour proofs Monaco and set the search for stamps. About 119 items, including these two.

Adrian24/11/2013 11:17:30
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Found them! On ebay.com rather than co.uk.

Adrian24/11/2013 19:05:47
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Chin up, cNA, it's not all doom and gloom!

smiley

In fact, those colour proofs from plates with design without denomination also formed part of the collection built up by the eminent philatelist Robert W. Baughman, who actually knew the princess personally, and was given quite a few rare philatelic items.

His collection (parts of which were later sold by Cherrystone) included:

"...color trials collection of 106 different (!) sheet corner margin imperf. blocks of four (424 stamps), serial numbers 1-106 representing progressive stages of trial color, value tablets black, n.h., printer's pencil notations on reverse..."

Here's one of the items ex-Baughman:

801.jpg

So maybe these items have some philatelic merit after all?

Hope so anyway, if only for my sake!

wink

Edited By Adrian on 24/11/2013 19:06:33

Adrian25/11/2013 08:40:20
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Haha, wow, no I hadn't! Well, that puts paid to my aspirations. But at least I can now make a juicy page with tales of shady dealings and royal intrigues!

Came across this die proof with Gandon's signature as well, last night, but I suppose I'd better leave that one be as well...

$(kgrhqz,!oqe8vb65d4ebpwusikfig~~60_58.jpg

Michael Chambers25/11/2013 10:32:24
277 forum posts
255 photos

Some very interesting thoughts on die proofs, etc. I wasn't aware of that article on Monaco either but it helps to explain the copious amount of Monaco 'die proofs' on the market.

In general, I see a great many die proofs advertised for sale and a lot of them are certainly very attractive and tempting. They would look very good in my collection. But then I think if there are numerous die proofs of a particular stamp on the market how can they all be genuine. Indeed, how did they come to be on the market in the first place. I'm not prepared to part with quite large amonts of money for potentially dubious material. In the absence of some sort of authoritative guarantee of authenticity -and there seems no mechanism for achieving this - this is a market that I tend to avoid.

Sadly, I'm not sure if I would even trust some leading dealers in this area as I have observed quite a few selling copious quantities of dubious material from Monaco and elsewhere, oftren for hundreds of pounds.

Edited By Adrian on 25/11/2013 10:43:12

Adrian26/11/2013 10:25:46
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

It would make a great feature: shady royal philatelic dealings, and it seems we could fill a page or two. But, not wanting libel lawyers breathing down my neck, I'll think I'll pass on tthat one. Great stories though!

Julia Lee26/11/2013 10:27:33
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

You can't libel the dead...

However, you can most definitely libel the living, and proving you didn't is expensive (and very, very difficult, and has nothing to do with The Truth) so Adrian is right to be cautious.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers