By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sem Hartz

Thread dedicated to the work and (biographical) information of the engraver Sem Hartz.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian23/11/2013 11:10:17
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

I promised Michael to upload some information on the Dutch engraver Sem Hartz, so I've been doing that this morning, and you'll find it on my engravers blog HERE.

And to liven up this thread, here are some of his stamps:

15b.jpg

23r.jpg

23x.jpg

Adrian26/11/2013 10:35:14
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Info from the original engravers thread:

One of the better known Dutch engravers, Sem Hartz, was a purist and hated anything not done purely in recess. He went even further and claimed that the only beautiful recess-printed stamp is one printed in monochrome, stating that if with single lines only one can achieve so many different shades and depths, why bother with wanting more than one colour to print such a beautiful work of art!

26a.jpg

Michael Chambers30/11/2013 15:55:36
277 forum posts
255 photos

Adrian

Thanks very much. I enjoyed your profile of Sem Hartz. He was clearly a man with very decisive opinions! Here are a few more of his Luxembourg stamps.

hartz 1.jpeg

hartz 2.jpeg

hartz 3.jpeg

Adrian01/12/2013 11:15:15
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Yes, you could say that again! I have a booklet published to mark the 75th anniversary of the Dutch Association of Philatelists' Societies and it contains a 10-page feature written by Sem Hartz on engraving techniques. He really lets rip every now and then, especially when it comes to engraved stamps such as these:

1a.jpg

"They're nothing but miniature postcards with a value stuck on in a corner somewhere for good measure. The engraved lines are pointless, and could just as well have run in any other way. The stiff, mechanical nature of the engraving makes this stamp no more than a diminutive, teeny weeny architect's drawing." This is, of course, followed by elaborate praise for his own architecture stamps, such as the Luxembourg one you showed.

He won't have been the easiest professional colleague to have around you, I don't think!

Neville Lawson22/10/2014 07:32:36
18 forum posts
3 photos

Hello again

I've been looking at the work of Sem Hartz, and I see he did some stamps for Belgian Congo. This led me to look up Belgian Congo in the catalogues, and I'm struck by the range of subjects and the number of different stamp values - and lots look to be engraved. 1923 - 24 values, 1928 - 15 values, 1931 - 18 values - etc etc - all this from Gibbons.

So, some questions - how could they afford to produce so many recess printed stamps? who was writing all those letters to use the stamps? the locals? or were there armies of ex-pat Belgians writing home all the time?

And of course, which stamps did Hartz engrave? From the illustration in Gibbons, the 47 Slavery abolition commem look like his stuff, and were done by Enschede. Any others?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers