By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Maps on Stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian08/03/2013 09:00:37
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

I recently received some interesting information about the CartoPhilatelic Society (that’s Maps on Stamps for you and me).

7l.jpg

The Society has about 120 members including several from the UK. They have their own website which you will find HERE. There you will find information on new issues, Society news, and membership details. Have a look, because it is a fabulous website!

7n.jpg

The journal now frequently has 20 pages to accommodate the articles being written by our members. It is available either hardcopy ($20 to non-US addresses) or by download for $15. The hardcopy is published using HP Magcloud; this produces a high quality publication on heavy semi-glossy paper.

image1.jpg

Members can also purchase the Maps on Stamps Checklist which has about 37,000 entries.

7m.jpg

We also have a blog on the subject, which you will find HERE. And of course we’re looking forward to you showing your own maps on stamps in this thread!

Alex09/03/2013 11:42:42
543 forum posts
3 photos

Here is a German 3 pfg. stamp, part of the 1935 Ostropa miniature sheet. It shows the castle at Allenstein and has a map of old Prussia in the background.

ostropa.jpg

som ghatak16/03/2013 19:39:13
139 forum posts
90 photos

NewFoundland  on Map

From Newfoundland Coronation series 1937

David Wolfersberger 118/03/2013 13:19:17
1 forum posts
1 photos

South American countries have issued many excellent map stamps. Several of the stamps relate to various border disputes that arose when these countries became independent from Spain and Portugal. Most can be traced back to the legal precedent uti possidetis juris, which means the borders of the newly independent countries were those defined when they were colonies. Unfortunately these borders were not clearly defined and essentially none were actually surveyed. It is easy to see how this would lead to conflicts.

A book, Miniature Messages: The Semiotics and Politics of Latin American Postage Stamps by Jack Child, has been written about how the stamps were used as propaganda to support one side or the other of border and other disputes. It is interesting to note that Bolivia issued stamp in 2012, almost 125 years after they lost some 120,000km2 and access to the Pacific Ocean in a border war with Chile, usually referred to as the War of the Pacific.

scan 3.jpg

Julia Lee18/03/2013 13:23:16
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Here's an article on Nicaragua's map stamps which nearly caused a war with Honduras, which was one of the earliest on our site.

And welcome aboard, David!

Adrian18/03/2013 15:57:04
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Hi David! Good to see you've made it to the forum!

Yes, propaganda is one of the more interesting characteristics of many map staps, which is what makes it such an interesting theme. Like you once suggested to me, the whole Falkland Islands/Islas de Malvinas question is one which is partly fought out in our stamp catalogues. Many maps to be found on those, pity though that one of the most outspoken one on the Argentine side, stating Las Malvinas son Argentinas, does not contain a map. A rather outspoken one from the British Commonwealth camp does, it being the recent referendum issue. Great design!

falkland-island-300x300.jpg

Ian Gibbons11/07/2013 23:41:37
5 forum posts

I only have a couple of these, but I do try and get them when I see them, re-used WWII maps folded into paper envelopes to recycle paper after the war.

This particular portion is a map of Senderhorst in Germany.

Re-used on a Belgian envelope in 1946

Adrian12/07/2013 08:08:41
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

That is a fascinating take on the theme, Ian, thanks for showing these!

Bob Corrigan08/12/2013 22:41:27
4 forum posts

Don't forget Pierre Bequet's maps of the various territories associated with the French Antarctic & Southern Territories.

Adrian09/12/2013 11:12:22
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum! I was rather intrigued which stamps you meant for I hadn't a clue, so I took out my catalogue. I presume you mean that long-running series which started in the late 60s and ran at least until the early 90s?

$(kgrhqeokpifjbczqob5bsvoor0orw~~60_35.jpg

They're glorious stamps and I'm very tempted to try and get them all in!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values