By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New French Marianne stamp being chosen

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian16/02/2013 12:22:37
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

In France, a new president means a new definitive design, with each president being allowed to choose an image which for them symbolises the republic.

François Hollande, the current French president, has given a number of students from 30 academies the task to choose a 'youthful' new design. Fifteen designs have been preselected for this.

mariannes.jpg

Next month, the students will choose three designs which will then be presented to the President who will make the final choice. The plan is that the new stamps will go on sale in July.

There is a great video in this link which, although in French, shows some of the designs in close-up. The students talk about how privileged they are to be allowed to choose a new Marianne stamp.

I quite like the only landscape format stamp, by Bruere. What about you?

Source: Cercle des Amis de Marianne

Edited By Adrian on 16/02/2013 12:24:55

Julia Lee18/02/2013 11:23:27
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

When you say students, isn't that Andreotto we were just discussing? And is S Beaujard any relation to Yves, of the 2008 Marianne?

Adrian18/02/2013 11:35:27
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Yes! They're father (Yves) and daughter (Sophie). Well spotted! Don't get your student - Andreotto connection though.

Julia Lee18/02/2013 11:38:10
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I was wondering if they weren't all students, and that perhaps Claude Andreotto had been invited to produce a design.

Would this be the first Marianne designed by a women if Sophie (or other female competitors) got it?

Adrian18/02/2013 11:49:11
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Oh I see. No, the students only come in after the established stamp designers have submitted their work. All they do (the students, that is) is choose three designs from the fifteen given to them for their consideration. From that final three, the president will then choose the final one.

And, no, if I'm not mistaken, the 1997 Marianne de 14 Juillet was the first (and so far only) Marianne designed by a woman, Eve Luquet.

18a.jpg

Julia Lee18/02/2013 11:52:08
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Oh I see! I misread your initial post.

Adrian19/03/2013 11:34:01
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

We're one step closer! The French students have chosen three final essays from the fifteen submitted. Here they are:get-attachment (1).jpg

get-attachment (2).jpg

get-attachment (3).jpg

These final three will now be submitted to the French president who will make the final choice.

Personally, I think I would choose one of the top two. Don't like the bottom one at all. I think the Beaujard design works well in all three formats, and the hat turned into a leaf is a very clever design trick. But I quite like the elegance of the Ciappa/Kawena design as well.

Any thoughts?

Source: Cercle des Amis de Marianne

Julia Lee19/03/2013 11:39:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Selfishly, because it makes the best story, the Beaujard! (As she's the daughter of Marianne designer Yves).

I think that's my favourite design too (as I looked initially without names). The simplest and to me most effective.

Not keen on Ciappa/Kawena. Looks to me like the style of those George & Lynne or Modesty Blaise cartoons.

Julia Lee19/03/2013 11:42:23
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Serres' previous stamps (he doesn't appear to be related to the famous Raoul).

"Albert London 1884-1932" engraved by Jacky Larrivière , March 19, 2007.
"Armistice 1914-1918", engraved by André Lavergne , November 12, 2008.

(from Wikipedia).

Edited By Julia Lee on 19/03/2013 11:46:49

Adrian16/07/2013 12:04:50
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

The French President has chosen his favourite Marianne and this is the winning design:

front-34-short-image-1188493.jpeg

Although generally approved of as far as the design is concerned, there has been a bit of uproar with regard to this particular choice. The designer duo are 'well-known' French militant gay activists, with some of their non-stamp art being on the slightly erotic side. And on top of that they have divulged that the main inspiration for this Marianne is Inna Shevchenko, a Ukrainian feminist activist who is known for her topless protests.

It was enough for a small minority to call for a boycott of this stamp.

However, France has weathered this type of storm before with previous Marianne stamp designers also being known for their controversial art and with Marianne being historically a bare-breasted figure anyway (she even appears in that guise on a French stamp!), the general opinion is that this latest Marianne will go down well in philatelic history.

It's good to see that this new Marianne, too, will be recess-printed. The stamp is engraved by Elsa Catelin. You can see more of her work in our BLOG. It is her first Marianne.

The designer duo Ciappa & Kawena have designed stamps before: HERE you will find their other French designs.

Conclusion: I've actually grown to like this design very much. It's modern, it's very much an improvement on the previous Marianne, and it does convey the 'Mariane and Youth' idea, which it was supposed to. So yes, I'll be getting a set in!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers