By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Sport

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Lee04/02/2013 10:05:38
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Having spent half my weekend watching sport (all three matches in the Six Nations rugby) and half the Superbowl, I thought we'd start a sport thread.

I find sport only equal to politics and religion for the amount of ill-will it can bring a forum, so let's tread carefully.

Limited winding-up allowed, as long as you can take it! And no outright hostility please...

Julia Lee04/02/2013 10:16:37
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Ok, my dad's Irish, so I've only ever supported one rugby team:

oconnell.jpg

These guys. This is Paul O'Connell. Rugby is split between big powerful guys whose job is to thump into the opposition (forwards) and small(ish) quick guys whose job it is to get the ball from hand to hand (backs). O'Connell is a forward.

lineout.jpg

Here he is catching at a 'lineout'. When the ball goes out, the opposing team gets to throw it back in between the two lines of forwards, who contest to catch it.

Quite why this issue only had O'Connell and not his equivalent in the backs, the Irish talisman Brian O'Driscoll, I'm not quite sure.

Ireland won the entire Six Nations tournament in 2009, beating everyone (known as a Grand Slam). This had not been done by Ireland since 1948. My FIRST phone call on the Monday morning was to An Post asking if there would be stamps... No.

Edited By Julia Lee on 04/02/2013 10:17:11

Julia Lee04/02/2013 11:00:01
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

2003 rugby world cup ms.jpg

And much as this pains me, here's the MS Royal Mail issued when England won the Rugby World Cup in 2003.

This is the one that REALLY kicked off the 'identifiable living people' thing, in a fudge that pleased no one. The chap breaking the circle in top right is captain Martin Johnson, and that's him holding the cup, too (you can tell by the way he strapped his hands). In the bottom right, though they're facing the other way, there are numbers on their backs, which make them: Jason Robinson, Lawrence Dallaglio, Trevor Woodman, Steve Thompson and Phil Vickery.

Adrian04/02/2013 15:55:55
1768 forum posts
911 photos
4 articles

Why, you really do know your Rugby!

Way too painful to watch all of it (not much fun supporting the neverending underdog!) but I did see some of it, and I saw France lose to italy. That will have hurt!

Here they are in better days:

4a.jpg

I hate this sheet because it don't fit in my stock book, so I have to display it on its side. But it's good for practising one's French rugby words!

smiley

Julia Lee04/02/2013 16:04:07
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

What I like about that sheet is that, even though rugby is almost always refereed internationally in English, the only 'English' style word is 'supporteurs'. I don't believe for one second there isn't a more French word.

Julia Lee05/02/2013 12:19:31
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Oh, and I had to cross-reference the names with the numbers on Wikipedia - I'm not THAT good.

Alex05/02/2013 13:27:51
352 forum posts
388 photos

Since Junior High I personally have never seen the sweaty appeal of contact sports. Ugh!

I did, however, enjoy playing baseball as a kid and I still have my 'ol glove and ball somewhere. More refined than soccer, rugby or American football, more exciting than cricket, baseball is a real Ivy League sport.

Baseball

Kids raising the red dust.....

Baseball

Hitting the big time....

Baseball

Popular past time in the big eastern cities....

Julia Lee05/02/2013 13:31:40
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

I'm sure if I'd been forced to play rugby at secondary school, I'd hate it the way I do hockey...

Go Mariners! (The Seattle baseball team).

Alex05/02/2013 14:02:41
352 forum posts
388 photos

Rugby

England vs Scotland Rugby game postmark, 1984.

Julia Lee05/02/2013 14:03:29
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Very nice! I like the rose/thistle design.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Guernsey Post
Universal Philatelic Auctions
ArrowFile
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Your Copies of BSMV and BCMV 2014 - Available Now!

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Stamp Digital Back Issues