By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

What's happened where you live lately ???

Good, Bad and sad things that have happened in your area

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robbo01/02/2013 13:18:41
74 forum posts
43 photos

I will start, yesterday not more than 800 meters from where I live a Train did not stop when it reached our station. It hit the concrete buffer which sent it airborne into the Ticket building.

Luckily no one was seriously injured and even the Train driver walked away unharmed.

Incredible.

Robbo

Adrian25/03/2013 08:38:25
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

It was Thursday aftenoon and I was enjoying the great sight of five little rabbits being out of their hole in the garden for the first time in their lives. I suddenly remembered this thread which never really took off and decided to find my camera and make a few pics to post here. By the time I had finally found it and got it working (it's a lousy old thing which usually fails to do anything), playtime was over and the little cuties had disappeared again.

Oh well, I thought, I'll try again next day. But this is what we woke up to on Friday:

dsci0008.jpg

And we've only just been reconnected to the electricity net! I've never seen so much snow here or anywhere else in my life. It wasn't so bad around the house. As you can see it only comes up to the gate in places, which is about a yard high. But try and turn left onto our lane and you would have found a wall of snow in between the hedges on the sides of five foot high, for at least a mile! You can see the tail end of this snow mountain at the other side of the gate, coming up to the top of the hedges.

Needless to say we're still snowed in. They started clearing the lane yesterday afternoon (there's only two houses on this lane, so other routes were more of a priority, especially as farmers have to let go of their milk because the milk vans can't reach them), but didn't get anywhere with normal tractors. So they've had to get proper industrial quarry diggers in. I believe they managed to do a hundred yards...

But at least the power is back on so I can sit behind my computer and enjoy our stamp forum again!

face 23

Billy Broadland25/03/2013 09:08:21
117 forum posts
38 photos

You may have seen this in the national news. Poor driving in Lowestoft!!

the-audi-tt-crashed-into-the-house-in-the-early-hours-of-sunday-morning.jpg

Adrian25/03/2013 09:19:56
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

That's what you get when you open that stamp album won at the local auction while still behind the wheel.

Julia Lee25/03/2013 10:22:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Don't collect and drive, folks! (ETA: sounds like it's quite serious, hope everyone's alright).

I live in Croydon, and I just found out last night that seminal (!) British sitcom Terry and June was set here, which I didn't know. (Note: it's actually set in Purley just to the south, but apparently Terry is pictured on East Croydon Station in the credits).

Edited By Julia Lee on 25/03/2013 10:23:56

Alex25/03/2013 12:16:18
543 forum posts
3 photos

snowyday.jpg

All the locals here are like, its THE END OF THE WORLD because of some snow! Come on, it is winter. Saw much worse conditions in Germany and the States and we didn't moan about it.

Above is the view I had while going to work at 0600 the other day at minus 2 degrees.

Adrian25/03/2013 12:25:39
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Looks more like War of the Worlds to me! Is that a gigantic Martian tripod?

OOOHLAA

Alex25/03/2013 12:44:15
543 forum posts
3 photos

Yeah, they are Martian tripods, about the only thing moving here at the moment with all the snow recently!

Julia Lee25/03/2013 17:07:48
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

(SPOILER - although, really, War of the Worlds spoiler warnings?!): Just sneeze on them.

Here's a video which covers the Isle of Arran and Kintyre (nearish Adrian) with some of effects on the power lines, including a mangled pylon.

Alex25/03/2013 18:19:03
543 forum posts
3 photos

I remember the big freeze back in 1979 while we were living in West Germany. Here is a Dutch clip from that time.

**LINK**

It was bad up north, but it wasn't much better in Bavaria. My dad, and the US Army, carried on and us kids got to school every day, a ten mile trip to our junior high thru the snow by bus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PSeG-hJUU&feature=player_detailpage

It's winter, it snows. dont know

Edited By Alex on 25/03/2013 18:37:45

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers