By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which engravers / engraved stamps do you most admire?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian15/11/2015 13:58:54
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Very nice indeed. You're turning into a great link finder!

I bumped into a fantastic auction, coming up this November 17, of USA essays and proofs only. A whole catalogue full of wonderful items. It can be downloaded for free:

** LINK **

Adrian15/11/2015 15:34:57
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Go right ahead, I'm not bidding on any of these. My stamp budget for the foreseeable future is tied up in upcoming lots at the Corinphila auction. Which is a good thing, I think.

Adrian18/11/2015 19:13:11
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Intriguing! I seem to recognise the 1998 Ancient Greek writers set, which may well be engraved but is printed in lithography. The items on the lower right hand side could be anything. Any more clues?

Here, by the way, is one of those 2011 Hermes stamps in all its full glory:

2011b.jpg

John Armstrong 421/11/2015 02:39:19
5 forum posts

The video on appended link shows at 0.28 seconds, the engraver at work on the 1c UN stamp; the location is De La Rue office at Bunhill Row; engraver could be J. C. Evans, but not confirmed.

**LINK**

cNA posted this back on p68. I was going to wait until I'd read everything (almost there) before contributing but as I've been recently working on the United Nations, this caught my eye.

This is a great clip as both of the engravers who worked on this stamp are shown. If you watch, the younger man with thinning hair is engraving the frame and lettering. This was done by A.B.Crosset. It then switches to an older man with a full head of hair who is working on the vignette. This was done by J.C.Evans so we are seeing both men.

Later, another answer was given to me. I've always thought that some of the early UN stamps have a "Machine" look about them. They show the use of a reducing apparatus that guides the engraving by means of a pattern. I had never seen one of these use for engraving, though I copied a lot of comics when I was younger with a plastic version of one of these. I assume that this gave a basic engraving of the UN badge that would be completed by hand.

Ian Greenwood21/11/2015 10:33:47
4 forum posts

Fascinating clip. I loved the background music, and the so-of-its-time comment, "Even the girls are skilled operatives"!

The routine emphasis placed on security does not, however, entirely remove the suspicion that 'errors' are deliberately smuggled out of the factory, rather than accidentally slipping through.

As for the procedures themselves, those we saw were illuminating, but surely not the whole story. There is an article in the current issue of Another Magazine which attempts clarification, not entirely successfully in the view of this reader.

John Armstrong 422/11/2015 11:37:25
5 forum posts

The information I found on these came from a release by the UN in 1951 which is reproduced here:

http://www.philatelicdatabase.com/united-states/the-printing-of-united-nations-stamps-1956/

As you can see, they list Crosset as the engraver of the frame and lettering.

Looking at the video again, although the narrator calls the first person an engraver, he actually seems to be touching up a proof with a very fine paintbrush. For the life of me, I can't understand why he would be doing that as a proof is there to show what needs to be improved on the die. Perhaps this is someone else again.

I'll stick with the second person being JC Evans working on the vignette but then that seems to be him as well using the pantograph.

Looking yet again, in the written description it says the man with the paint brush is putting finishing touches to the design. The designer was O.C.Meronti so perhaps that is him at the start. I didn't think most stamp designs were produced at actual size but in this case that seems to be the case.

Edited By John Armstrong 4 on 22/11/2015 11:42:50

John Armstrong 422/11/2015 11:57:21
5 forum posts

Looking at the video, the people are hand engraved but the symbol in the sky was done with a pantograph.

What I think is amazing is that the pantograph work is being added to the hand engraving. This would mean that if it was not perfectly aligned, the whole work could be ruined. I would have expected that to be done the other way around.

There is so much in this little clip. Thanks cNA for showing it.

Edited By John Armstrong 4 on 22/11/2015 11:58:22

Adrian23/11/2015 10:57:03
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

That's great information, cNA! I only had the 5p air on my list from this gorgeous set so I'm very glad to be able to link so many of the others. And learn that German is a Christrian name as well!

Adrian23/11/2015 19:08:07
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Never trust Spanish anchors!

But yet another fantastic set you've managed to find the all-important info for. You're doing very well, Sir! Feels like Christmas having come early.

Adrian24/11/2015 19:20:19
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Here is one of those 1964 Spanish Navy stamps in all its full glory: the 40c depicting the Santa Maria, engraved by German Martin Orbe.

1964e.jpg

Posted by Ian Greenwood on 21/11/2015 10:33:47:

As for the procedures themselves, those we saw were illuminating, but surely not the whole story. There is an article in the current issue of Another Magazine which attempts clarification, not entirely successfully in the view of this reader.

I only had a chance to read it today. I actually thought it was quite thorough and clear. Must admit I had to reread it a couple of times but then, it's quite technical anyway and that's not my strong point, but I do feel that I now have a better idea of what goes on when the engraver produces his artwork.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers