By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Which engravers / engraved stamps do you most admire?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian25/04/2013 14:39:49
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

That's exciting news. And I see that you've been tweeting about the Roos as well in next issue, so it should be another good one!

Julia Lee25/04/2013 14:43:01
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Background: Adrian doesn't DO social media.

What? How are you seeing Twitter?

Adrian25/04/2013 14:58:45
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

I may not DO social media, but I DO check out the SM website thoroughly and all your tweets are on there (bottom right) .

Better start watching what you're tweeting then!

laugh

Julia Lee25/04/2013 14:59:40
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Ah, yes of course.

Julia Lee25/04/2013 16:07:13
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I'm just proof-reading Michael's article now. It's good. But you knew that.

Michael Chambers25/04/2013 18:15:12
277 forum posts
255 photos

Thanks very much. I hope it lives up to the hype!

I'm focusing very much on the struggle to keep engraving alive in France over the last twenty years and in particular the role played by the French engraver, Pierre Albuisson who is the president of the Association, 'Art du Timbre Grave'. It should have lots of nice images of his stamps and other French engravers. It even has a fairly happy ending. Interestingly, the French equivalent of Stamp Magazine has a bit of a starring role as does the former President, Nicolas Sarkozy.

CNA - thanks for the link through to the Austrian stamps. That's aniother excellent thread.

Adrian26/04/2013 08:42:58
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

@ Michael; I'm really looking forward to reading your article!

@ cNA: Thanks for the warning! With prices of Piel's items being usually more expensive than others (those at Congress were around £60 each, and I haven't seen a Piel signed item below £200 yet) it would almost be advisable to have these certified. Would autograph certification services exist in this field?

Thanks also for that die proof link. I had a very quick peek and it looks very promising and intriguing. Will browse it at leisure later.

Adrian26/04/2013 16:17:47
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Ooh, is this a trick question?

The Royal Wedding stamps of 1956: SG says engraved by J. Piel.

An on line Piel list does not mention this stamp though.

And HERE I read that the design is by Detaille, based on a photograph by Piel and engraved by Minne.

All three names appear on the actual stamp but the sc (for sculpsit, meaning engraved by) appears after Piel's name, so would it be Piel after all? I would hope so as I quite like this stamp and itreminds me of Piel's softness.

Here, by the way is an engraved die proof signed by Piel (or is it???)

t48755.jpg

No clue yet regarding the second stamp.

Michael Chambers28/04/2013 10:56:19
277 forum posts
255 photos

Just to clarify a bit further the 1956 Monaco royal wedding stamps. I have no doubt that they were engraved by Piel and recess printed, especially as I am looking at one of them right now. Someone will tell me if I am wrong but I think between 1928 and 1968 (when Monaco produced a couple of stamps by photo) every single Monegasque stamp was engraved and recess printed. As to the other names on the stamp, B Minne was the most prolific designer for Monaco at that time and so, as his name is in the stamp, must have had a hand in the design. He also did some engraving himself but not I think in this case. My researches tell me that the design was taken from two photographs, that of Prince Rainier by Giles Detaille and that of Grace Kelly by Piaz. Detaille's name appears on the stamp but not that of Piaz. It's unusual to have so many names on a stamp but it possibly reflects the importance accorded to the issue in which Prince Rainier (famously a stamp collector himself) himself took a close ionterest, approving the composition personally. Strangely, the SG catalogue only mentions Piel but then it can be a bit random in these matters.

Just looking at the Monaco catalogue reminds me what a fantastic standard Monaco set in those days. Although photo started to come in the late 1960s and litho more recently, a very high proportion of Monaco's stamps were engraved / recess printed until 2000 and a significant, if declining number since them. Acquiring more of them is going to be one of my priorities.

Michael Chambers01/05/2013 11:50:52
277 forum posts
255 photos

CNA - Thanks for the note about Piaz. I had no idea who he was but I see from the internet that Teddy Piaz seems to have photographed just about every star of stage and screen from the 1930s to 1950s.

Further to the discussion on what sort of images work best on engraved stamps here are four engraved landscpaes / townscapes by Rudolph Toth. The first three were designed by his long term collaborator, Adelbert Pilch and the fourth, the view of Vienna, by Otto Zeiller. I do think the Austrians excelled in this field.

toth a.jpeg

toth b.jpeg

toth d.jpeg

toth c.jpeg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values