By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Need help in getting started with GB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Corbin Hutt14/10/2012 22:39:04
8 forum posts

I just joined this forum. I collect U.S. stamps but want to start a G.B. collection. I use a Scott catalogue for my US stamps but was wondering if I should get a Stanley Gibbons catalogue for the GB stamps. Also, can anyone recommend a good comprehensive album? I like to see illustrations if possible.

Alex15/10/2012 08:54:53
454 forum posts
69 photos

Hi Corbin

The basic GB Stanley Gibbons catalog is alright for general GB collecting. There is a more detailed GB catalog should you go into colors, watermarks and that kind of thing. If you can read German, Michel does a good catalog as well.

The type of album you use really depends on what you're willing to pay. Davos delux albums and the German Lighthouse albums are really good, and they have preprinted pages. On the minus side, they come in volumes and are pretty pricey. A standard album is cheaper, but most don't have the printed pages. Check out the internet to see whats going.

I'd probably go for the cheaper albums because, frankly, most modern GB stamps are really only labels and you'll end up with an album worth more than the stamps within them. A nice quality album for the earlier output, however, is another matter.

Edited By Alex on 15/10/2012 09:07:10

Julia Lee15/10/2012 11:21:29
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I need to plug our British Stamp Market Values (advertisement over on the left there!) which contains realistic market prices for British stamps, and does list all of them.

It's cheaper and thinner, too!

Corbin Hutt15/10/2012 17:15:13
8 forum posts

I'm really after a catalog, or some book, that provides the following:

1) English language only

2) details on the stamps (colors, watermarks, perforations, etc)

3) values, but this is the least of my concerns; I just want to be able to check a price for a stamp when I buy it to be sure I'm not being taken; this is not an investment but more a tour of history for me.

For an album, I'd like to see illustrations if possible, but at least spaces with descriptions. Any bits of history added in would be great. Also, a good grade of paper would be preferable. Not too thin, but I don't need card stock.

I have browsed the internet and have seen different albums and catalogs, but one can not usually see what's on the inside of these publications. That's where I need some help.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edited By Corbin Hutt on 15/10/2012 17:16:11

Alex15/10/2012 18:36:28
454 forum posts
69 photos

Well, in that case buy the Stanley Gibbon GB Concise catalog. It has everything you'll need. However, the values quoted are inflated. They also do illustrated albums, check their website.

Adrian15/10/2012 19:22:00
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Here's a quick scan of a Lighthouse album for Australia, the only one I have.

I think you'll find that most of the big brands have similar pages, that is to say: pretty spare. On this **link** for example, you get to see the pages made by Davo. I know the US does lovely illustrated albums with loads of info but you won't find any such on this side of the pond I don't think. If you're looking to build a general GB collection, then I wouldn't worry too much about Davo, or Lighthouse or SG or whatever brand, just go for the one that is reasonably priced. Paper wise, also, there won't be much difference, as they will all use relatively strong and stamp-friendly paper.One thing you should check, though, is whether the pages have hinges on already or not, and then decide what you prefer.

And there's something in my head saying it is possible to ask for a sample page, if you like, but I'm not sure whether I'm just making that up. Or maybe the producers are able to send a scan of their pages?

Corbin Hutt16/10/2012 00:15:25
8 forum posts

Everyone, thanks for the great information. I have decided on the SG Concise catalog and I'll browse around for an album. Sounds like I have plenty of choices.

Carmen16/10/2012 12:19:55
485 forum posts
54 photos

Have fun Corbin! I'm also an "illustrated" album user, to wit a basic Phoenix World album (which would obviously be useless to your particular collecting interests as it is a general one...).

To all other collectors out there who wonder why Corbin and I and others prefer an illustrated album... well, I'll just speak for myself... it's essentially a sticker book for grown-ups! cool

Keith Bratt16/10/2012 14:10:17
10 forum posts

Hi Corbin, and welcome from a fellow newbie. In a similar situation to yourself a few months ago I opted for SG's Collect GB Stamps, it being about half the price of the Concise Catalogue and me at the time being in denial about being a stamp collector, and a tightwad. It has pricing (presumably the same as the catalogue?) and colour illustrations, albeit reduced in size.

Hi Carmen, know what you mean about illustrated albums, I must be a sucker for sticker books too. Maybe it gives a visual guide to how complete the collection is? Or just so they go in the right order?

Hi Julia, public service anouncement, that link to the no doubt wonderful BSMV doesn't work for me, though that might be my browser (IE9).

Julia Lee16/10/2012 14:13:07
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Hi Keith,

Always grateful for public service announcements. I'll get it checked out.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers