By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Wales-Cymru

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian28/09/2012 09:00:49
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

So there we have it: I'm finally out of the closet as a big fan of Wales! Have you seen this week's blog yet? Well, I got so enthusiastic that I wanted to have a dedicated thread to Wales on this forum.

I was lying awake last night remembering all the little post offices I used to frequent. Such as Commins Coch and Llanbrynmair. Especially Llanbrynmair was a favourite haunt of mine as the postmistress, Mary, used to let me rip up her new stamp sheets. Boy, did I get loads of cylinder blocks and date-of-printing blocks and what have you. Shen disappeared before we did, and things were never the same again.

If any of you have any postmarks from those post offices, and from the likes of Machynlleth and other offices in the Powys area, I'd love to see them!

Meanwhile, I also remembered that I had wanted to include this stamp in the blog post:

Like it said in the blog, we often took the train from Machynlleth to Harlech and by doing so you had to cross this old, rickety, creaky, wooden railway bridge, just south of Barmouth. Always a highlight of the journey with the train going dead slow so as not to make the bridge crash and crumble! I was therefore very pleased when I found out they were going to put the bridge on a stamp.

This whole revisiting of Wales has made me pick up one of my old plans again (only in my mind so far, but still), to build up a collection of everything to do with Wales. Which might include this:

The Welsh Prime Minister David Lloyd George on the cover of a Machin booklet. Although actually born near Manchester, he was from Welsh descent and his family moved back to Wales within his first year. So he's allowed in.

The above stamp is also allowed in, although the link is more obscure. It shows a butterfly hat from the 2001 Fashion Hats series. The milliner is Dai Rees, and he's Welsh as well. Beautiful stamp, by the way, and by far the best of the set, I think. Here is some press blurb from when the stamps were issued, with Dai's thoughts on the stamp.

Anwyays, love to see if you have anything Welsh in your collection. Put it up here!

Adrian29/09/2012 10:55:50
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

For William: these are among his favourites of Welsh stamps: the Castell Caernarfon value from the high value definitives:

Not sure whether he meant the predecimal or the decimal version, so here are both!

smiley

Julia Lee01/10/2012 09:08:07
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I got about confused about who William was, but it makes sense if you read the blog comments!

Billy Broadland01/10/2012 11:17:46
115 forum posts
37 photos

Just found this postcard fromBetws-Y-Coed,very nice pictures. Interesting postmark. Does it really mean "Cod Post"smiley

Billy

wales 1.jpeg

wales 2.jpeg

Julia Lee01/10/2012 11:22:49
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Cod Post is the Welsh for postcode! Should have a little hat on the 'o' in 'cod'.

Adrian01/10/2012 12:55:56
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Aah yes, Betws! Loads of ncie memories there. Not to be divulged here, though!

blush

Great postmark (you didn't think the Cods of Betws would be delivering the mail, did you?), It's great to see how they had to work their way around this Welsh bilingual thing on the postmark. Most if not all mail from North Wales would probably be postmarked in Chester, which of course is in England, which would result in English-only postmarks, so they probably made this one and others like it especially for Chester, North Wales!

Good to see the Welsh definitives being used.

Adrian11/10/2012 09:13:05
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Got myself some Post & Go stamps yesterday and one of them has a Welsh link. It's a set of British cattle breeds and one of the six breeds featured is the Welsh black.

Although I like the design, I must admit the imposing nature of the beast is more obvious on the 28p value of the 1984 British cattle set.

The Welsh farmer from near Machynlleth who we were friends with, had loads of sheep (he hated sheep: "stupid, dumb animals" he called them), and a Welsh black bull, and he was might proud of him. No wonder, they're quite a sight.

Adrian23/10/2012 08:53:23
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Look what I found!

I really thought they were lost forever, but when I was rummaging in some old files and folders this morning, looking for a postcard I bought in 2000, I suddenly found them, in with loads of other old stuff. I'm so glad I still got them! 24 in a sheet, but I took out one to display as a single. But at least they're all still there. I'll properly mount them now, so I can't misfile them again.

smiley

Adrian01/03/2013 08:25:49
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Happy St. David's Day!

28j.jpg

Yes, today is the Day of Wales on which the Welsh celebrate their patron saint, David, or Dafydd more like it, so it's a good day to revive this Welsh thread with a few more pics.

28h.jpg

First up is St Davids Cathedral. I have been in, I believe, but can't say i recognise anything from this 2008 stamp.

28k.jpg

I have more luck with this one, from 2004, depicting the Talyllyn Railway. I've been on that one, once, it was some sort of pre-Christmas carol trip, with mince pies and carols on the station platform. Nice!

28i.jpg

My final stamp is maybe not Welsh in nature but for me it has Wales written all over it. It was the first set Royal Mail issued after I moved to Wales, back in 2001. I remember promising myself a walk to our nearest post office (Commins Coch, about an hour-and-a-half's walk) everytime there would be a new stamp issue.

So I went down full of hopes, only to find that the post office was basically just a garden shed, with me probably their only customer that week. Needless to say they didn't stock special stamps, so I climbed all the way back up again and have never been back since!

She was absolutely lovely though and even let me browse through her book to see if i could at least get any Machin cylinder blocks or date-of-printing blocks but even there I was unsuccessful...

Julia Lee01/03/2013 11:06:08
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

You may have lived in Wales but you can't've been paying that much attention, as St David is almost always known as Dewi Sant.

Do check out today's Google Doodle, folks (if you're reading this on March 1, 2013).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers