By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Anyone care to start a stamp exchange chain?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen14/05/2012 00:04:36
485 forum posts
54 photos

Hey everyone... on one of the other postal boards I've just discovered and like to hang out in, they have a bunch of "worldwide postage stamp exchange chains" going.

The idea is that 6 of us sign up to participate in a chain. If I'm #1, I get things started by mailing 100 of my doubles (we can make a rule that it's commemoratives only for instance, or not!) to Person #2. They take out the ones they want and replace the number they took with a matching number of their own doubles and pass it to #3 and so on and so forth so each person gets a 100-stamp packet passed to them.

When #6 gets it they do that as well, and mail the remaining 100 stamps back to me, allowing me to (hopefully) get a whole new selection of stamps I didn't have before, and so completing the chain. And all it'll cost is is a nice (commemorative!) stamp to mail to the next person. That, and the improvement in our handwriting as we ACTUALLY have to WRITE on an ENVELOPE and MAIL THINGS to PEOPLE! wink

That chain's rules are:

- send out stamps you'd like to receive yourself (the Golden Rule of Stamp Collecting! In my case, it doesn't mean much since I collect pretty much anything and everything! )

- no definitives

- use commemorative stamps (no labels or definitives) to mail them to the next person in the chain

- no copies (unless together on paper or something)

Soooooo, is anyone up for it? Huh?! Juliaaaaaaaa?! Aaaaaaaaadrian...?! laugh

Edited By Carmen on 14/05/2012 00:08:09

Julia Lee14/05/2012 09:47:36
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

My dirty secret is that I don't collect, so you'll have to proceed without me.

I don't mind in principle, but I don't want to spend time chasing people who haven't sent stuff, or arbitrating on disputes.

So I guess what I'm saying, Carmen, is, 'fine, as long as YOU administer it'. (Now, what was that about dropping people in it?'

Edited By Julia Lee on 14/05/2012 09:48:17

Carmen14/05/2012 12:08:25
485 forum posts
54 photos

Hey Julia! NOT A COLLECTOR?! GASP!surprise

That's okay, you've just discovered MY dirty secret: in my own little Pollyanna way, I ASSUME everyone will simply respect others and git 'er done, as they say!

In fairness to me, I tend to live by the maxim: "Never ascribe to 'malice' what can more easily be ascribed to 'stupidity'."

smiley

Also, if I lose stamps, I'm not as worried since all I'm losing is doubles anyway, ya know?

Julia Lee14/05/2012 12:10:55
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I figure having an outside eye is a good thing. Also, they hired me to be good with words. (Dunno how that one's working out...)

Adrian14/05/2012 16:24:59
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

I used to do loads of swaps in my time but since I moved on to mint stamps I've stopped doing them. So, sorry Carmen, but I'm no. 2 to back out here.

face 24

But there's bound to be folk who would be interested!!!!????

Carmen15/05/2012 11:47:35
485 forum posts
54 photos

Ah... it breaks the heart, Adrian... laugh

Carmen15/05/2012 11:50:56
485 forum posts
54 photos

Ah... it breaks the heart, Adrian... laugh

And Julia, that's interesting. I'm actually surprised though that after working for the magazine for a while you haven't thought... "gee, maybe I need to accumulate some of those little square pieces of paper too!" Obviously, you are not subject to peer pressure! wink

As for hiring someone who's good with words, no worries there dear... they done good! yes

Julia Lee15/05/2012 11:55:14
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Also, when you go home, stamp collecting is your hobby away from work, right? It wouldn't be the same for me.

I have kept a few things - postcard from Tristan, autographed Korea cover, a few black-and-white photos of Canadian stamps on west coast First Nations themes.

btw16/07/2012 21:11:55
1 forum posts

Hi Carmen, did you get your chain going?

Carmen18/07/2012 12:04:07
485 forum posts
54 photos

Nope! Not in this group anyway... am in one in the other, but still waiting to get it back (I think it's at #4/6 or something like that...)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers