By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Collecting Art on Stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian06/04/2012 09:19:55
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

So, after having read this week's blog you may prove me wrong and convince me that art on stamps DOES work! To start convincing myself, here's another beauty of the 1969 Austrian set.

face 23

aconacon aconacon07/04/2012 06:30:49
1 forum posts

I hope you are doing well.Thanks

Edited By Adrian on 07/04/2012 08:41:23

Adrian07/04/2012 08:42:39
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Thanks Anacon!. I'm sorry I've had to edit your post but we'd rather not have commercial links here.

Adrian18/06/2012 13:03:04
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

I just got a few stamps in from the wonderful Art series that France has issued ever since the early 1960s. This one shows 'Jacob's Struggle with the Angel' by Delacroix, designed and engraved by Pierre Gandon and issued in 1963.

It reminded me of how I once planned to build a philatelic museum with these. Sort the pages into museum halls, each dedicated to a certain art period, like Renaissance, Jugendstil etc. Make the pages in landscape format, as if they're museum walls, and instead of a normal black-lined frame around the stamp, have proper picture frames around them.

Three stamps on a page, maybe, in small letters, painter, painting and year included and you're there! I never followed it through but still feel inclined to, every now and then!

Ever done something as silly?

blush

Adrian24/07/2012 10:33:19
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

When sorting a big collection of Belgium last night, I came across this 1963 charity set. The stamps depict various of Rubens' drawings of his children. Again, this is the sort of 'Art on Stamps' stamp I like whereby the actual work of art work is not just depicted on the stamp, but has been used to create a lovely recess-printed stamp. This here is little Franz, aged 4.

Adrian19/08/2012 12:06:56
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

The Leopold Museum in Austria, which was mentioned in reaction to a blog post on Austria's art museums, has an important collection of modern Austrian art. Just about a year ago, in September 2011, its tenth anniversary was marked with a special Austrian stamp.

The stamp depicts Egon Schiele's 'Wally', painted in 1912.

Alex19/08/2012 14:14:16
523 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Adrian, I knew about this stamp. I meant that I don't think the Leopold is on the definitives. I have to admit that I have a soft spot for Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt.

I don't know why RM doesn't do much in the way of art on its stamps. There are great art stamps for both Germany and the United States which I have collected.

But then, I think of most stamps as 'art' anyhow, so here I guess we're talking about 'art on art'!

Adrian19/08/2012 15:01:18
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Oh I see! No, the museum is not included in the definitive set, but then, didn't you say it is situated in former royal stables? I believe the current definitives only depict modern architecture, so I don't suppose it'll be ever included.

I must admit I had never heard of Schiele but, having googled him, I do like his work.

You're right about RM. I suppose the 2006 issue, to mark the 150th anniversary of the National Portrait Gallery, was RM's latest artistic endeavour, though paintings have sometimes appeared as part of a non-art design since.

My favourite stamp from that set is not a painting though, but a photograph, of Virginia Woolf.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values