By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Collecting Birds on Stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vera19/01/2013 18:35:58
59 forum posts
41 photos

here are the three latest woodpecker stamps, 60 sen Banded Woodpecker (Picus miniaceus),80 sen Common Flameback or Common Goldenback (Dinopium javanense) and RM1 Lesser Yellownape (Picus chlorolophus).

woodpecker-malaysia-400x182.jpg

Julia Lee21/01/2013 08:25:40
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I saw three red kites as I went up to Oxfordshire yesterday, including one that was almost level with the car. (I wasn't driving). Something in the neighbouring field was about to become lunch.

I also saw a pheasant, flying, which I think is the first time I've seen one in flight rather than staring at me dumbly from the side of a field.

A quick Google shows that the pheasant (as 'the Pheasant Inn' was on the cover of a 94 GB booklet, which we don't have. I'm not aware of it on any other British stamps, but it does appear on several other countries'. Anyone got one they want to share?

Adrian21/01/2013 08:54:22
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Pheasants are rather bulky so it takes a lot of effort to take off, which is why they're always reluctant to do so. My experience is that they rather wait in the middle of the road for a car to drive them over. It's well-nigh impossible to take a spin around here without seeing a splashed version on the tarmac...

It's a miracle we only hit one in the past ten years!

Anyway, I think this one here is my only one.

21a.jpg

I know there's a ring-necked pheasant on a 1982 USA stamp (South Dakota) and I believe there's even a later one with just its head on, from the series which also incldues that blue jay and the red cardinal (or whatever it's called). Alex may have those?

Julia Lee21/01/2013 08:57:36
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

We once drove slowly into a group of pheasants, most of whom scattered into the luxuriant verges. Two of the young ones, however, decided the best escape route was by foot - straight down the country lane in front of us. We must have followed them for about ten minutes as they paddled frantically in front of us, periodically wondering if perhaps a leap into the verge might be possible and always deciding against it.

Alex21/01/2013 09:05:54
537 forum posts
3 photos

Yes, there is a US stamp, part of the 1982 State Birds and Flowers set. Here is a FDC of the South Dakota stamp showing some Ring Necked Pheasants. Pheasant

Have to go now, train to catch........

Julia Lee21/01/2013 09:07:39
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Oooh lovely, a bonus FDC! Thanks Alex. Hope you make your train!

Vera21/01/2013 12:04:42
59 forum posts
41 photos

I've never seen a ring -necked pheasant in the wild. I did read somewhere that this is the most hunted bird in the world and there are many breeding farms to produce hunting stock.

romania.shootingpheasant.jpg

Vera21/01/2013 12:09:35
59 forum posts
41 photos

Postal meter advertising for the Pheasant Inn , Cumbria. I wonder what they have on the menu ?

pheasant inn.meter.jpg

Julia Lee21/01/2013 12:10:38
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I've just remembered a recent Unpleasant pheasant picks on postman story (PICS!)

Julia Lee21/01/2013 12:13:50
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Nice item Vera!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values