By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Collecting Birds on Stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alex13/01/2013 17:10:21
537 forum posts
3 photos

Definately not my favorite bird, but a occasional sight in Arizona and California; the California Condor. Now more common than in the past, I saw these birds soaring high up in the sky in both states. Darn ugly close up, nicer to see them gliding on the thermals looking for a meal. Once saw three of them over Arizona. This stamp was issued in the early 1970s.

Condor

Edited By Alex on 13/01/2013 17:12:27

Julia Lee14/01/2013 10:30:08
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

My grandparents, who lived in the Pacific Northwest (Washington State, Oregon, Idaho) had a practically tame jay that would hop down for peanuts, as long as we were all inside. I think it was a Stellar's though.

Julia Lee14/01/2013 10:32:22
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Adrian - do we have any red kite stamps?

They've been reintroduced recently into the Oxfordshire borders. It can be quite odd to drive down the A34, in most other respects a perfectly normal Home Counties road, and see several of them with the distinctive triangular tail hovering around the trees.

Adrian14/01/2013 10:53:03
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Yes, they're a majestic sight, aren't they?! Here's a GB issue of 2007:

14b.jpg

I like this Dutch stamp as well, 'cause it shows his forked tail a bit better.

14c.jpg

And here's your steller's jay, which would be the blue bird on this busy pic, I presume!

stellers jay.jpg

Vera17/01/2013 09:24:22
59 forum posts
41 photos

I have just joined this site and am delighted to find a dedicated forum for birds on stamps.I am looking for information on these Netherlands bird stamps..I see more than 40 different ones have been produced and on the Delcampe site I saw one sale of them listed as a private issue. It was also thought they might be charity seals.

Netherlands. Private Issue?

Julia Lee17/01/2013 09:27:21
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Welcome, Vera! (And hello again). Those look to me like the Netherlands' personalisable issues frames, but Adrian will be able to confirm.

Adrian17/01/2013 16:02:29
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Hi Vera! Great to have another bird stamp enthusiast on the forum! I like your imperial eagle theme very much. Feel free to add any pics that you like.

As for those Dutch stamps. They are indeed 'personalisable stamps', but these are actually a series produced by PostNL themselves. The Dutch Post usually has a number of running series which you can subscribe to, such as birds, or stately homes, etc. These stamps are not available over the counter and I believe you even pay a bit more than their face value, but they are proper stamps, no charity seals, no private issues or whatever, and they may be used for all forms of postage.

And if I'm not mistaken these are actually from the series that come with a special audio pen, which, if you keep it across the stamp, will give you the sound of the birdie on the stamp.

I really like that nuthatch stamp!

Vera17/01/2013 17:33:47
59 forum posts
41 photos

Thank you Adrian for all the info on those Netherland bird stamps.

What a great idea for bird enthusiasts to be able to personlize a stamps with their favorite bird. I'd probably choose a raptor...would your choice be the nuthutch?

.Do you know the value of these particular stamps ? The cover here was sent from to Australia.

I'm really not up-to-date with all the latest issues and to learn that an audio pen can produce the bird calls of the stamps....amazing. I luv modern technology as there's no end to fantastic innovations such as these. There is now an app for smart phones with all the north American birds on it with their calls. Wont belong before there's one for all world birds.

Adrian17/01/2013 17:41:00
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

No, sorry, no idea of value. Seeing they're personalisable stamps available by subscription only, they probably won't end up in standard stamp catalogues, but I would guess they'll be of pretty standard value. I had a quick look on the Dutch eBay site and find that mint copies usually go for €1.

Favourite bird? No, most certainly not the nuthatch though we used to have one in our garden. Soundwise it'll be easy: I'd choose the blackbird. But beautywise? Probably the barn swallow, because we have them here in the summer and they're so sociable. They always come and sit close to us on the electricity cable above our heads.

Vera18/01/2013 17:58:45
59 forum posts
41 photos

Forgot to mention, I'm currently living in Malaysia. There was a new issue of woodpecker stamps a few days ago. 3v set + m/s showing 4 species of woodpeckers. I can swap sets if anyone is interested.

Adrian , here in Malaysia swifts and swallows are always seen flying around and as I live on the 9th floor I observe them at close range. Using binoculars I'm surprised how high they fly and seem to disappear into the clouds.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values