All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian23/03/2012 10:13:53
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Read this week's blog yet?

face 23

Here's some more goodies from Bahrain to take a look at.

This 1980s cover also has a commemorative stamp on, from the 1983 set to mark the Bicentenary of the Al-Khalifa Dynasty.

I like this one especially. First of all because it has a bilingual registered label on, but I also like the stamp very much. I know it's a definitive, and as stated in the blog, it's always more worthwhile to have covers with commemoratives on, but it is not one of the standard definitive sets; it comes from a less common set of high values only, introduced in 1976. And it's recess-printed! So that's almost as worthwhile as a commemorative, I would say.

Have you got any interesting (modern) covers from Bahrain or any of the other Arabian Gulf States? Why not show them here!

Jack30/03/2012 16:30:01
124 forum posts

Just commented in your blog on the others. Both these covers are ordinary. Those Bahrain Shaikh are getting high cv in SG catalogues, but I would not hold my breath to get that amount.

In general Bahrain are amongst the cheaper prices for commercial mail in this area.

Adrian30/03/2012 16:36:20
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Ah, so that's you, Ozzieal ! Well, I never.

Thanks for all your comments though. As I probably said somewhere, I know flap all about these so I'm just showing some stuff that came into my hands the other day. Here to learn, etc. Have got plenty more so I'll put some more up when I have time to sort them properly (i.e. when the sun stops shining!).

Adrian02/04/2012 09:28:45
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Here's some more Oman that I found in my big lot of covers. It's probably all ordinary but then, you never know... As there were no other marks or labels on the covers, I'll just show the postmark bits.

There was one cover with a meter mark rather than postage stamps. Are these less common?

Here's an enlarged version of the registration label shown on my blog post. If anyone's any good in Arabic, please let us know what the handwritten bit means!

Ozzieal commented on the blog that the Oman registration mark would normally be on the back. Well, I had a look and it was there as well, though rather faint:

Adrian04/04/2012 16:54:57
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

I've since found out what the handwritten bit on the Muttrah registration label means: it says Sub Division, probably referring to a sub division of a larger post office (or is that kicking in an open door?).

Tahir17/07/2013 12:41:55
42 forum posts
21 photos
Posted by Adrian on 02/04/2012 09:28:45:

Here's some more Oman that I found in my big lot of covers. It's probably all ordinary but then, you never know... As there were no other marks or labels on the covers, I'll just show the postmark bits.

I read somewhere that there have been covers with the contentious "State of Oman" inscribed stamps on it too... It would be lovely if someone can share such a cover...

Jack19/08/2013 18:13:01
124 forum posts

For detailed discusssion of these see the book 'Aspects of Omani Postal History'.

**LINK**

Sorry for the shameless plug - I co-wrote it.. All of the above are covered in the book...

Jack19/08/2013 18:17:45
124 forum posts

'State of Oman' is interesting. There was revolt in the 1960s. Some 'State of Oman' covers were accepted for use through the post by some countries for various political reasons. These are scarce.

Full details can be found in the book 'The Official Envelopes of State of Oman and Dhufar from 1967 to 1986'

**LINK**

Tahir13/09/2013 16:05:02
42 forum posts
21 photos

Thanks for those links, interesting books both of them.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values