All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian16/03/2012 14:04:52
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

Read this week's blog yet?

smiley

So what's your favourite football stamp? I'll just add one more, my favourite GB football issue. No, it's not the 1966 one, which I think quite hideous, as are many others, but I quite like the 2002 issue.

I like the big lion stamp because it continues the theme of the then only recently introduced English definitives (yes, I know they didn't have white borders at the time, but I've only got this later copy),

but I also find the flag with balls whizzing by rather original. And even taken apart the design works well, as can be judged from the two values that were used for the self-adhesive booklet.

Julia Lee16/03/2012 14:10:28
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I think that is the tricky thing about football stamps. If you have a 'no recognisable living people' rule, then you can't use footballers (even if a couple of blokes on Hackney Marshes would get the point across).

And then you're left with the sort of thing that you highlighted in the blog (static, or just limbs, or both!)

So it is nice to see something with a bit more 'design' and thought.

Alex16/03/2012 14:41:34
454 forum posts
69 photos

Where I come from soccer was a game played by junior high girls. Baseball was my kind of game. (Funny, here girls play baseball, or rounders, and boys play soccer)

However, I have always liked the design of the German WM 74 (Weltmeisterschaft 1974) stamps.

Julia Lee16/03/2012 15:59:37
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

These are the stamps Alex is talking about.

I agree that they're action-filled (is that what you like about them, Alex?) which very few sport stamps actually manage.

However, the colours remind us that the 70s were the decade that gave us apricot and avocado bathroom suites...

Edited By Julia Lee on 16/03/2012 16:03:28

Alex16/03/2012 18:56:16
454 forum posts
69 photos

It is more a sentimental thing rather than the action depicted, though it is a better design than that Dutch stamp Adrian likes. I guess, like Adrian, I am old enough to remember that summer back in '74. It is that WM 74 logo that takes me back as I don't remember watching the world cup on TV. The logo was everywhere and I recall a German supermarket chain giving out free soccer balls to kids. It was just a cheap ball with the company and WM logo on it, but I still kicked that ball around all summer. I was 9 years old back than.

I wouldn't know about avocado bathroom suites, we lived in military housing and our bathroom was white.smiley

Adrian16/03/2012 19:10:01
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

I was 9 as well in '74, but must admit the whole thing must have passed me by without notice, for I don't recollect anything. Not even the colour of our bathroom suite (shower rooms of course in Holland, no such thing as a bath, only the rich posh folk had baths), though I presume it was white. Think the avocado and horrid greyish green (in my first British home) were quintessentially British.

face 23

Julia Lee19/03/2012 10:23:04
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I really kicked something off (sorry about the pun) with the bathroom suite mention, didn't I?

Adrian19/03/2012 14:28:05
1814 forum posts
948 photos
4 articles

You sure did! But you can make up for it by showing us your favourite football stamp!

face 1

Alex20/03/2012 08:26:15
454 forum posts
69 photos

Yes, and we'll not say anything about carpets in British bathrooms!!

Julia Lee20/03/2012 08:49:42
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Yeah, I think that's daft too.

I'm going to cheat and say my favourite football stamps are:

Because at the launch I met Carlos Alberto, Ossie Ardiles and Ray Wilson from the '66 team. They are, for football stamps, quite active though everyone's cut off at the torso, and they serve as a useful aide memoire for pub quizzes (hint: it's Uruguay).

A quick scan of footballphilately.com suggests you have to go to Africa for stamps that really capture the game, with hon. mentions for the Gabon '62 and Mali '63 stamps.

But, really, my favourite footballing stamp is this one. Cat, meet pigeons.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers