50s stamp collecting film

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julia Lee15/03/2012 09:42:36
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

This is tremendous fun! Interesting how much hasn't changed:

http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/item.php?id=12543&clip=n&num=10&startrow=0&keywords=stamps

(via the Virtual Stamp Club).

Alex16/03/2012 14:48:33
356 forum posts
1 photos

Love this old film. I recall alot of places in America had shops like this, or else dedicated philatelic sections in department stores. By time I got into stamps, many were gone and I used mail order alot. I recall the two large department stores in downtown Hanau, Germany, where we were based for a while, had a nice philatelic section. You could buy individual stamps, sets, packs, stock books and catalogs there. Still have my old German DNK 1978 catalog I bought in 1977 (for DM6.50). I miss those old fashion places where a friendly clerk would show you the latest issues or suchlike. Ebay isn't quite the same.

Last time I went back to the States, I went to one of these places, but the service just wasn't the same.

Edited By Alex on 16/03/2012 14:50:55

Carmen21/03/2012 00:51:35
386 forum posts
39 photos

Love it! That woman at the beginning looking longingly into the store window... that's me worshipping at Ian Kimmerly Stamps in Ottawa! laugh Not something I can do too often since I live a couple of hours away in Kingston, but I was just able to get in there last week for an hour and sit and find some Russian stamps to complete some sets...

Ah... I could spend ALL day in there, much to my husband's (and our bank account's) dismay...

cool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ArrowFile
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey Post
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
BSMV 2015 available now, BCMV 2015 coming soon...

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Stamp Digital Back Issues