By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The most beautiful stamps in the world

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian25/11/2011 09:11:36
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

You've hopefully all read my blog post of this week (25 November 2011) where I plead the case for Austria being the country which issues the most beautiful stamps in the world. It would be great to hear from you. Do you agree? And if not, which country do you think issues the most beautiful stamps in the world? And why?

smiley

Adrian

Carmen25/11/2011 12:25:45
489 forum posts
55 photos

Oh Adrian, you're going to open a can of worms there! wink

I have no particular favourite countries, since all of them have managed to produce some horrendous-looking stamps at one point or another... i.e. the American "Love" stamps...? Really...?

But I will say that I've always had a fondness for Liberia and Mongolia. These two countries. although hardly first-world nations, have always pleased me with their huge collections of bright, colourful and varied stamps on just about anything. I guess they must represent a source of income for them from worldwide collectors.

I also will pick my favourites from among different countries... in particular, last year's Canada $10 Blue Whale is gorgeous... and very large (10cm by 4cm or something like that?)

One of the Belgian King Leopold III has always appealed to me as well, probably because I love the contrast between the black engraving and the crisp white background.

Pardon the lack of Scott's or Gibbons numbers... don't have my catalogue handy right at the moment and the pictures too up took many "characters".

So there you go... one can opened for all to debate... anyone else?! cool

Edited By CGOD on 25/11/2011 12:29:27

Adrian25/11/2011 19:21:32
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Oh Carmen, that's an interesting selection: Liberia and Mongolia! I must admit I don't immediately recollect any stamps from these two countries, so I'll spend tonight browsing my catalogues and see if I can see what you see!

Over on the blog we've also had the suggestions of France and 1980s GB.

There must be more options and opinions so let's hear it!

Adfrian

Edited By Adrian on 05/12/2011 09:24:01

Alex27/11/2011 18:41:56
523 forum posts
1 photos

Hmmm, not sure about Mongolia either, though as a kid I did like two Mongolian stamps; one a green dinosaur on a yellow background, another a space monkey against a blue background. Rather garish, but fun.

I don't think any country really has a monopoly on 'beautiful' stamps, though I think Iceland comes close. Many of the European stamps I collected in my teens were beautiful, mostly produced in the 1940s - 1970s period and mostly by recess printing. These included stamps from places like Monaco, France, Germany, and eastern European countries like Czecheslovakia and Poland. I also liked many African countries, mostly the French colonies and ex-colonies. I agree that the Austrian stamps had a lot going for them, too. Norway and Sweden produced some great stamps as well.

I also agree that the UK produced its best stamps in the late 1970s - late 1980s.

Julia Lee28/11/2011 10:00:09
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

When I first read this thread, I thought 'Sweden, it has to be Sweden', and I think, for me, really, they do the best modern stamps. Partly because of the engraving.

Then Carmen mentioned Canada and I remembered that I love some of the early Canada/Newfoundland - especially the Newfoundland dog!

All hail engraving!

Stewart Ogilvie-Goddard06/12/2011 12:53:06
18 forum posts
7 photos

I really like the look of some of Austria's stamps. They were first brought to my attention with the "Views" set from 1973.

Adrian07/12/2011 08:47:44
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Ah yes, Stewart, those 1973 definitives. They're proper gems! They've been part of kiloware for so long that they tend to be overlooked or dismissed too easily, for when you study them more closely or see the whole set, you're bound to fall in love with them! Imagine the rest of the world having definitives like that! It's a perfect showcase for a country, I think. Thanks for bringing these to my attention again. I'm sure I'll feature them someday soon on the blog or maybe even in the magazine!

Adrian16/12/2011 19:01:48
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Stewart, have you seen this week's blog yet?

smileysmileysmiley

Adrian

Julia Lee03/01/2012 13:28:29
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

My love for Newfoundland stamps inspired Adrian's latest blog: http://blog.stampmagazine.co.uk/2011/12/mr-woof.html

The thing is, that isn't the dog stamp I meant. This is:

All credit to Newfoundland for doing two totally different, totally brilliant stamps on the same subject.

This is the 1896 reprint of an 1894 design - is it too old for our beautiful stamps poll?

Adrian03/01/2012 13:52:24
1818 forum posts
951 photos
4 articles

Oh well, I never even noticed that one, when looking for your dog! But it's true, they're both brilliantly done, so I think that's two votes for Newfoundland now, rather than just the one.

And no, it's not too old. Anything issued after 1839 will be fine!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values