By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

So only a M/S?

Why not separate stamps?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

BREAKING NEWS: Royal Mail royal wedding stamps revealed

Four-stamp miniature sheet will be issued on April 21.

Christopher Phillips29/03/2011 09:13:13
40 forum posts
223 photos

They look a lovely pair! The stamps and the couple.

BUT do the post office not wish to see these stamps on letters?. It shows how much they want stamp collector's money, but NOT for people to USE stamps fpor letters any more!

OR

AM I BEING Cynical

Why no 2nd class value? the value most used by the public?

The whole point of stamps to be commemorative is for them to be USED and SEEN, not bought and hoarded away....

I wonder how many others will agree?

Julia Lee29/03/2011 09:17:39
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Gosh that was quick, I was about to start a thread myself.

Don't you think there might be a fuss if there were 2nd class stamps. 'Royal Mail thinks William (or Kate) is 2nd class'?

And there's nothing to stop you tearing them out.

Alex29/03/2011 09:27:30
352 forum posts
388 photos

Fuss? Why?

For a 1st class rip off, honoring a 2nd grade royal couple, from a 3rd world postal system?

Yeah, I'm griping, but I'm still waiting for a package that arrived in this country, from the US, last week and still hasn't yet arrived at my address.

Another lost (read stolen) item from your Royal Mail?

Edited By Alex on 29/03/2011 09:28:51

Edited By Alex on 29/03/2011 09:31:53

Christopher Phillips29/03/2011 11:16:01
40 forum posts
223 photos

Julia I am sure that no one would think them 2nd class if they were on 2nd class stamps.

The whole point is that the general public will not see or USE these stamps, most only buy single stamps or books of stamps. Only stamp collectors and souvenir collectors will buy the miniature sheets, and except for FDCs will never get them used on letters. WHICH I think is the whole point of stamps Yes of course I know we can separate the sheets. but why do we have to buy equal amounts of foreign rate stamps as inland 1st class rates. Most people do not post many letters abroad. There was the same problem last year with the girl Guide stamps.... and many other miniature sheet only issues.

As you know I love stamp collecting, and British stamps, and even the British Post Office, but not the way it is being run now, manily the interefence by Governments. The Post Office has so little chance to keep down costs when the mail can be delivered in the city areas much cheaper by other companies, who NEVER deliver mail to the villages, they just give that "difficult" mail to the Post office, so we get hundreds of vans from a dozen companies causing congestion in town s and cities, delivering mail cheaply, and the poor GPO have to take all the more expensive mail to deliver. So the cost rises to us all..... Sorry I am getting going again......

Julia Lee29/03/2011 11:18:14
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

My only argument with your points above - and it's press day tomorrow so I'm rushing - is I think you can expect foreign tourists in London for that period (Easter/Wedding) who will want to write home with those stamps. Not postcard rate though, are they?

Jack29/03/2011 13:25:05
124 forum posts

But are they showing real heights for them? Remember how Charles was put on a soapbox or wharever to appear tall? I just hope that's it and we dont get the equivalent of all the Diana tat cluttering up stamp fairs for the next thirty years.

And the reason the PO issue things like the £1 stamp is simple; they hope they wont be used so clear profit for them. The PO has issued some 1st class stamps to use and the £1 they hope will be profit.

Julia Lee29/03/2011 13:27:43
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

I'm sure you can find some full-length shots of them to check, if you like!

I'm a bit alarmed about the commem document, and the coin covers go up to a whopping £1,750 for a gold one in an edition of 50.

Definitely merit in your 1st/£1.10 idea; though I'm sure they also think of the MS as a collectible.

brian sinnott - postagelabelsuk.com30/03/2011 22:23:12
37 forum posts

The reason that its a Mini-Sheet only is because its an 'Extra' issue and has to be allocated printing press time etc. Also RM has to issue quite conservative sets when it comes to the Royal Issues to get approval- e.g. Charles/Camila wedding.

The £1.10 face value comes from the new overseas 20g rate, also the face value of the "overall" item has to be commerically viable.

Brian

Julia Lee31/03/2011 10:36:00
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Commercially viable is about what, £3.50/£4, now?

Julia Lee01/04/2011 16:35:06
2051 forum posts
1002 photos
229 articles

Heads up: a site covering all the Royal Wedding issues has been set up.

royalweddingstamps.net

And kudos to David Cupp for setting up the site he wanted to see!

This tip courtesy of Philatelic Database, who are worth book marking.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Guernsey Post
ArrowFile
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
Your Copies of BSMV and BCMV 2014 - Available Now!

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Stamp Digital Back Issues