By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

WWF stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

World Wide Fund for Nature stamps unveiled by Royal Mail

The ten WWF stamps, plus a miniature sheet, will go on sale on March 22.

Julia Lee10/01/2011 17:15:15
1969 forum posts
958 photos
225 articles

I expect these to be unpopular - surely issuing stamps for animals not native to the country is one of the signs of a 'dodgy' country? Elvis next?

Do we think this fulfills the Europa theme?

But, at the same time, I do really like the design of the MS, though I don't know if everyone will agree with me.

Stewart Ogilvie-Goddard20/01/2011 17:49:02
18 forum posts
7 photos

I'd be pleased if I was a thematic collector but am disappointed from a GB point of view.

Julia Lee20/01/2011 17:50:03
1969 forum posts
958 photos
225 articles

Hi Stewart,

Good to hear from you. Care to flesh that out a little more?

Julia

Alex21/01/2011 05:33:40
345 forum posts
385 photos

I do like this set, it sends out an important message about wildlife conservation. The number of stamps, however, makes it appear, again, that Royal Mail is really only interested in making money. The MS is nice, too. More a thematic subject, but a worthwhile one and, I'm sure, a popular set to be.

I cannot see how this set could be part of a Europa theme, none of the critters are European. It is a WWF set. The fact that they're not 'British' animals doesn't bother me. What is a purely 'British' animal anyhow? You share your wildlife with your European neighbors.

The stamps are nice, but not artistic (except for the MS), just photos of animal faces. The design is good, each face looking out at you. But this kind of thing has been done before, not very original.

All - in - all, I give this set my thumbs up, so much better than those stupid and god - awful royal family stamps or those stupid House of Tudor etc sets of recent times.

Will I be buying them, No! But a lot of grand parents will, and that may start off an interest in stamp collecting in some kids, so that, I guess, is good.

Edited By Alex on 21/01/2011 05:34:48

Edited By Alex on 21/01/2011 05:36:43

SA18/03/2011 10:19:18
38 forum posts

I had not realised until I read Guy Thomas's editorial (April Stamp Magazine) that the "Spider Monkey" stamp on the WWF miniature sheet also incorporates the 2011 Europa theme.

I think that this shows a certain disrespect to the Europa "forests" theme: notwithstanding the merits of increasing awareness of the threat to the Amazon. Surely this issue could have focused on preserving forests in Europe, as Guy has suggested. I recognise that some people will argue that whatever the work done by (say) the Woodland Trust it alone cannot make up for the destruction of the Amazon: but as Europeans, we can (in theory) at least control what we do in Europe to preserve forests; and this was the opportunity to focus on that.

Julia Lee18/03/2011 13:05:34
1969 forum posts
958 photos
225 articles

I've heard from members of Royal Mail's philatelic team before that they like to take a sort of 'sideways' tack at doing the Europa theme. I think there's virtue to that; it means they're not doing the same as everyone else.

But I do agree this is a step too far, and that, really, this was a chance to do a great homegrown issue.

Adrian18/03/2011 13:21:49
1732 forum posts
888 photos
4 articles

I see where you're all coming from with the GB thing, but it reminds me of a time when I was rather miffed with the RSPB when they started promoting work in Indonesia and other places, even hopping on the rainforest bandwagon at one stage I believe. But when I let rip in front of a Bird Wildlife (or whatever they're called) lady, she said: protection of animals doesn't stop at a country's borders. For birds this is of course very true, as we may protect the swallows with all our might, only to have them gunned down in Malta or Africa. Take global warming and worldwide illegal trade in fur and ivory and what not into account and it becomes clear that the protection of wildlife IS a worldwide thing and therefore the critical status of the african elephant should matter to people in GB and for that reason this animal appearing on a GB stamp does have its merits, for what it does is pormote the good work of the WWF, and the WWF aims to strive for a better world (including GB!).

David Blake 120/03/2011 10:35:17
9 forum posts

Is Royal Mail making a donation to the WWF?

Julia Lee21/03/2011 09:17:48
1969 forum posts
958 photos
225 articles

Good question, I don't know, will ask.

Julia Lee21/03/2011 10:28:34
1969 forum posts
958 photos
225 articles

To get a look at how at least one other country treated the Europa theme, take a look at Switzerland's.

http://www.stampmagazine.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=15021&p=252031

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
ArrowFile
Guernsey Post
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Your Copies of BSMV and BCMV 2014 - Available Now!

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Stamp Digital Back Issues