Magical Realms stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Julia Lee06/01/2011 11:29:17
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

So, what do you think of these Magical Realms stamps?

A total gimmick, looking to capitalise on certain major TV and film franchises?

And whatever happened to celebrating anniversaries?

Or an example of a field in which Britain does really well?

A great way to hook children and other people who might not normally think of stamps?

One thing's for certain, 2009's Mystical Creatures must have done well, or Royal Mail wouldn't have bothered!

Adrian06/01/2011 14:07:09
1708 forum posts
876 photos
4 articles

You took the words right out of my mouth! They are indeed very much like the 2009 set and therefore very un-original, but that seems to be the "let's have lots of stamps at no expense" policy.

However, the set will do well with thematic collectors I would think and, being rather fond of the Arthurian legends, I'm slightly tempted to go for them myself. It's just that I don't really find them appealing enough...., so in the end I probably won't!

Julia Lee06/01/2011 14:13:43
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

Thank you for christening the policy!

You know about the 1985 Arthurian legends set of course?

I know that Jeff Dugdale, another contributor, collects Myths. What do you think, Jeff? Are there enough Myths and Legends collectors out there to make this worthwhile?

Jeff Dugdale06/01/2011 20:16:21
9 forum posts

I like them and will want several copies for my Authors collections, for my Cinema collections and for my Myths collections - so that's me hooked, for one and suggests areas beyond myths that might entice thematic collections to purchase at least some of the set.   However apart from the Discworld items, these are all subjects already visited by Royal Mail stamps at least once before.

I note a growing trend of populism amongst Royal Mail issues in recent years - The Beatles, The Rugby World Cup, The Ashes victory, The Classic Album covers, Children's TV classics, London West End Musicals etc etc and some young folk are bound to be hooked for a while at least.

But surely it's too easy to identify for example Tilda Swinton and Sir MIchael Gambon , if not Ralph Fiennes, in these issues ?  What's happened to the Royal Mail policy of not portraying living persons, may we ask once again ?

Julia Lee07/01/2011 10:45:36
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

Not portraying living persons: 'greater achievement' I suppose. It's up to you guys to decide whether that's good enough.

Speaking of the Ashes, I suppose I'd better call Royal Mail's press office and see if there are any miniature sheet plans...

Julia Lee21/01/2011 13:00:55
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

Interestingly, these are printed in gravure, while the Musicals stamps are litho.

Because of the increased cost of engraving a cylinder which only pays off after a certain amount of time (compared to litho), gravure is usually an indication of a larger printing.

Royal Mail expecting a big seller...?

John Howe01/02/2011 10:26:16
27 forum posts
14 photos

I for one deplore this trend towards popularism, it may attract a brief interest from kids and I guarantee it will be brief but in the long run it degrades the hobby and the dignity of Royal Mail. Now I can understand one issue a year that has popular appeal but this is trivia after all, a baseness to which Royal Mail should not stoop.>>

> >

In the meantime British greats are being neglected one extremely influential Briton was ignored last year and one Briton who through her work has arguably saved many lives and made more bearable many more. That woman was Florence Nightingale. A very sad omission from Royal Mail.>>

Julia Lee01/02/2011 16:33:12
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

Good point about Nightingale, whose death anniversary it was last year. I do wonder if RM prefers to do birth anniversaries, but as far as I know it's not a formal policy. Jersey IS doing a Nightingale stamp.

Julia Lee15/03/2011 17:03:58
1871 forum posts
906 photos
214 articles

Just an aside about the Magical Realms stamps - they are getting a TON of publicity.

Not just with national papers, but all over the internet as fans of the authors featured get involved.

Edited because authors themselves are not 'depicted'!

Edited By Julia Lee on 15/03/2011 17:06:10

Alex15/03/2011 19:01:44
338 forum posts
375 photos

They may be getting more publicity, but they are still nothing better than glorified labels. Heck, they are even the same size as the labels I had as a kid which you stuck into your GoldKey albums. They were as colorful, but I got a whole album, with fifty labels, for 79 cents!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey Post
ArrowFile
Advertise with us
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Your Copies of BSMV and BCMV 2014 - Available Now!

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift

Digital Back Issues

Stamp Digital Back Issues