By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

USB Microscope

Great for plating!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alistair Garner04/03/2018 20:48:03
21 forum posts
33 photos

Hi guys. My 65 year old eyes aren't what they used to be and I've decided to confirm the plate numbers in my 30 year old album.

I'd seen these previously, can't remember where, and for less that £11, thought I'd give it a go, and I have to say I'm quite impressed with the results:

There are several versions available on feeBay. The one I chose has a variable magnification of between 50x and 500x. 50 was more than enough. The software was VERY difficult to install despite claims that it is Win 10 compatible, and the base is quite flimsy, but it does the job.

The software allows you to capture the image to a folder (I used my phone camera), Make videos, (I suppose of live bugs and things), measure distances and angles, all sorts of things that I haven't used!

The big advantage is obvious, no squinting through magnifying glasses as the image appears on your computer screen. Take a look at the images and see what you think!

Carmen06/03/2018 11:02:32
526 forum posts
56 photos

Yup, I have one myself, although it's been several years since i used it since I've been doing some pretty basic stamp collecting tasks lately (sorting through and organising piles of ordinary stamps for instance).

However, I am probably about to buy my very first Penny Black, and when I do I plan to use it to look at the details that will (hopefully) demonstrate its authenticity (not that I have any worries about that because I'm ordering it from my stamp approvals company and it will come with a certificate). Still it will be cool to "look deeper"!

Ian Billings13/03/2018 15:55:48
32 forum posts
9 photos

These are sold under a variety of brand names in different countries.

Unfortunately the original software did not work with Apple computers: a version was available to download.

But with the latest Op Systems even that doesn't work because the developers have not updated it. Stick to the 20th century systems and you're OK!

On Macs the Photobooth software does work. These are some of my recent pics, cropped.

Well, they would have been if the system had allowed them to be here. Drag and drop didn't work, maybe the files are too big at 42k?

Ian Billings13/03/2018 15:58:50
32 forum posts
9 photos

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers

Subscribe to<br />    Stamp Magazine and receive a FREE gift