By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen22/04/2018 12:41:36
544 forum posts
57 photos

Great Bruno! Let us know your results as well. As I say I did my first experiment with some current stamps so I didn't really care what the result was... and it was great!

Bruno Zadnich29/04/2018 21:54:22
4 forum posts

Hi there! smiley

Ok, I got the "guaranteed lemon" dish soap (an expensive one), a hot water bowl, a handful of stamps and mixed them together. Well, it worked only partially: the three self-adhesives gave no relaxing sign; the three nastily hinged ones cleaned the hinges away in just a few seconds, great! So I had another dipping go with the self-adhesives examples: nothing doing. Got a touch nervous, but still had a third try: no way. I gave up and washed the dinner dishes with the "guaranteed lemon" stuff (that's what it was designed for, really) and, again, I was only mildly satisfied. As far as the self-adhesive stamps problem, I'll be looking for another dish soap... must find the correct chemistry combination, I guess...

... meow. cat

Carmen01/05/2018 12:07:44
544 forum posts
57 photos

Yup... definitely "your mileage may vary"!

Just curious - what country were the self adhesives from? Could it be some countries are using a nastier adhesive than others?

Bruno Zadnich01/05/2018 21:10:35
4 forum posts
Hi-ya! smiley
Ok, now... I went on with further washes, totalling 5, at the end. Results as follows: stamp one, Italy 2016, cleaned away properly, no trouble; stamp two, Italy​ 2015, converted in a thin, thin inconsistent film, close to structural collapse; stamp three, Belgium (year unknown), somewhere midway between the first two, but with residual areas of persisting adhesive. I will be insisting with further experimentation, just let me get hold of another lemonade extravaganza dish-soap!
I'd love to add the photo-witnessing of the second (or third) wash, but I've still to pick how to post images (!).
Meow. cat
Gillian Hutchinson03/05/2018 14:43:51
64 forum posts
2 photos

Posted by Billy Broadland on 20/03/2018 19:39:52:

Gillian, if I have any stamp on piece nowadays that I think may be a problem to soak off, I leave it on.

Having, over the years, messed up several stamps by trying to remove them, I now just neatly trim them and put them in a stamp amount.

Perhaps this doesn't meet with the approval of the traditionalists but it at least stops me getting frustrated.

Sounds reasonable, Billy, especially if your stamp collecting is for your interest only. Trouble is, it’s not always easy to tell if a stamp is going to be self-adhesive.

Gillian

Trevor Bishop 103/05/2018 16:48:41
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi ,

An interesting thread - I tried the hot water & washing liquid on GB stamps but it was not ideal tho I could scrape away enough of the paper on the back perhaps to reuse an unfranked stamp but not one to collect . Lighter fluid on the back & a sharp knife helps to peel it off but then leaves a sticky stamp !

I found Australian stamps very hard to get off & as you say it's better to just cut around them .

I have a few old Austrian stamps which are impossible to get off tho VERY hot water released a few with the risk of thinning / damaging the stamp I gave up on that . I think it's some kind of " cow gum " Anyone any thought in that ? .

I guess the PO's are just trying to stop stamps being reused and as has been said many times before they just need to cancel them properly.

All post from Germany arrives with beautiful cds cancels - I wonder what the German collectors would say if the postmen started to use biro ? There'd be an outcry !!

Enough rambling , back to work

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 03/05/2018 16:49:25

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers