German stamps query

Type 1 or 2 ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 117/01/2018 13:12:52
157 forum posts
51 photos

img_3771.jpgHi ,

Please can anyone help with this stamp .

Firstly it seems to have no watermark - I've tried a detector & solvent and usually they are fairly easy to see it seems strange it's not visible . Secondly it appear to be type 1 i.e. Printed in two stages , frame & centre separately . However looking at the SG CAT there appears to be SG 152 of which I have several . I wonder if the date & perfin may help ? Or is it a forgery ?

Thanks

Trev

Alex17/01/2018 15:07:39
562 forum posts
7 photos

It is a 1920 Germania definitive stamp, printed in carmine / black and it will have the lozenges watermark. It is catalogued SG 152 / Michel 153. As you say, it is a type I printing. As you can clearly see, the Deutsches Reich inscription is not centred within the frame as would have been the case with the type II printing.

As to the date, it looks correct: these stamps became invalid at the end of October, 1922. (The 5-6N refers to the collection time of between 1700 - 1800 in the evening, BTW)

As to the perfins, no idea! There were thousands of them in the Reich period. I can tell you, however, that it is from a private company as the governmental departments didn't use perfins. They had dedicated official stamps for official use.

Edited By Alex on 17/01/2018 15:27:05

Trevor Bishop 117/01/2018 22:36:11
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for the info - I was thinking that because it was a new value that it would've been printed using the new plate , did they print the 4m with both plates ? Is it possible for it to have no watermark ?

And I see some of the other values e.g. 50,75,80pf are all rarer in plate 1 , So why not the 4M ? SG says that plate 1 was used for coil stamps , it seems odd that a 4M would be on a coil .( Perfins , yes , even the few I collected of GB & getting the Tomkins list showed how many GB have - interesting but a huge topic .  .

Well thanks again , I'll keep looking & learning

Trev

Trevor Bishop 114/02/2018 17:32:32
157 forum posts
51 photos

img_3858.jpgHi again

I need some help with another German stamp using SG numbers .

It appears this is T64 1923 with the value omitted . The overprint looks to be O63 in green , however I just can't place it in the catalogue & hence in my printed pages .

Can any one help please .

Thanks

Trev

Alex14/02/2018 18:15:36
562 forum posts
7 photos

Hi

Your stamp is a example of the Oct/Nov 1923 definitive set and is the slanted value figure version.

It is SG 328 (greenish black OP on dull brown). Michel number 326A.

Not sure why you say that the value is omitted - it is 2 Billion (US) Reichmark.

Hope that helps.

Al

Trevor Bishop 114/02/2018 19:48:29
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi Alex ,

Thanks for that .

I see I think the confusion was that along the base of the stamp the wavy lines looked more like T 64 SG 352 etc where some stamps have "value omitted, "so I was thinking the 2md was actually an overprint indicated by the brackets (63) but I see now that with second colour of the 2md would mean the base of the stamps of T62 would have wavy lines .

Thanks again

Trev

Trevor Bishop 120/02/2018 20:44:14
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi again ,

Does anyone know if this is a stamp ? It has a value "3" but the expedition suggests a cinderella stamp. Does someone know please ?

Thanks

Trev

img_3864.jpg

Paul Davey 120/02/2018 21:12:17
374 forum posts
26 photos

From the net: "1864 Hamburg German States. Charles Van Diemen Private Die 3gr. Local City Post". So a local which many folk would class as a cinderella.

Alex20/02/2018 21:15:57
562 forum posts
7 photos

Why do you post your photos sideways?

As to this stamp, it is a German Local stamp of a Hamburg company. The Op states it is for letters, packets and the delivery of goods. This stamp, of a set of 6, was issued in 1864. These have been widely forged. The original stamps were roughly perforated and your example has the remains of perforations, so may be genuine.

Above is entry from the Michel 2006 catalogue.

Hope this helps.

Al

Trevor Bishop 121/02/2018 01:47:45
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi

That's great thanks ... very interesting .

Sideways pictures , the original picture I take is vertical however when added to my photo album it turns my images sideways I'm not sure why . I tried taking them sideways & then some turn out upright & some upside down .

A quirk of the system ? I use an iPhone to take them which might be the reason.

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers