By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Bavaria old postcard curiosity

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 114/11/2017 20:02:09
127 forum posts
45 photos

img_3488.jpgHi to all ,

I thought I'd share this curiosity I recently found : A Bavaria postcard showing pictures of their stamps , but on the back stamps from different countries "tied " to the card by their countries cancellation - "how did they do that" , as they say !

img_3487.jpg

Billy Broadland17/11/2017 18:17:28
120 forum posts
38 photos

Hi Trevor

Interesting card. Can you make out the dates of the cancellations? Are they close together or in any sort of sequence? I wondered if somebody got hold of the card and then took it on their travels. perhaps they went into the local Post Office, bought a stamp and asked nicely if the counter person would stamp it for them! Just an idea.

Billy

Trevor Bishop 117/11/2017 18:43:51
127 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Billy , Yes it could be done like that . A bit like when people collected passport cancels as they moved about as a kind of souvenir of their trip . The Bayern stamp is 26th M** ? May ? March 1912 , GB stamp is 26th JU 1912 , Netherlands stamp is 24/7/12 , Germany 30/9/12 . Quite a nice idea , tho more difficult nowadays as the card has no address and isn't actually posted . I love these little curiosities like this . I might try that myself , although I can't see the post office staff agreeing to do that . Interesting though .

Thanks

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers