By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help identifying these stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matt ARNOLD14/11/2017 13:53:07
3 forum posts
2 photos

20171114_134959.jpgAny help would be greatly appreciated in identifying any of these stamps, I am a newbie to this

Edited By Matt ARNOLD on 14/11/2017 13:53:42

Trevor Bishop 114/11/2017 14:18:29
124 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Matt ,

These are all British stamps & fairly easy to find in a GB Stamp catalogue which you may find in a library or perhaps with a friend who collects . Probably not of great value although you would have to start looking at " plate numbers "  & watermarks , but an interesting place to start if you're  thinking of starting to collect ?

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 14/11/2017 14:19:19

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 14/11/2017 14:21:25

Matt ARNOLD14/11/2017 18:41:19
3 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Trev,

Thanks for your message, not fussed about values, my late father has left me thousands of old stamps from all around the world, I know very little about stamps and it feels daunting when scratching the surface with a little research - a massive subject.

Where do you start.

Matt

Trevor Bishop 114/11/2017 19:55:08
124 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Matt,

Hopefully some of your fathers will be in an album on pages for each country ? Most stamps have some thing on them which with a little practice you'll learn so you could sort them by country. Then probably you'd be best to borrow a world catalogue from the library ( now in 5 volumes and heavy !) or you could pick up a set on eBay a few years old tho postage might be a lot . Most collectors like upto date catalogues, so one 4-5 years old shouldn't be too much . Then you'll be able to put them in chronological order . And you'll have some idea of value tho condition is ALL important , whether they are used or mint ( unused ) & the catalogue "value" is only relative to other stamps and is probably 75% higher than any real resale price you might get , so don't get too excited about value .

Stamp tweezers are ideal for handling stamps .....

It's a big subject and you may find yourself in time being drawn to a particular aspect of stamp collecting and head down that avenue .

Enjoy your sorting !

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers