By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Help identifying these stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matt ARNOLD14/11/2017 13:53:07
3 forum posts
2 photos

20171114_134959.jpgAny help would be greatly appreciated in identifying any of these stamps, I am a newbie to this

Edited By Matt ARNOLD on 14/11/2017 13:53:42

Trevor Bishop 114/11/2017 14:18:29
127 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Matt ,

These are all British stamps & fairly easy to find in a GB Stamp catalogue which you may find in a library or perhaps with a friend who collects . Probably not of great value although you would have to start looking at " plate numbers "  & watermarks , but an interesting place to start if you're  thinking of starting to collect ?

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 14/11/2017 14:19:19

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 14/11/2017 14:21:25

Matt ARNOLD14/11/2017 18:41:19
3 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Trev,

Thanks for your message, not fussed about values, my late father has left me thousands of old stamps from all around the world, I know very little about stamps and it feels daunting when scratching the surface with a little research - a massive subject.

Where do you start.

Matt

Trevor Bishop 114/11/2017 19:55:08
127 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Matt,

Hopefully some of your fathers will be in an album on pages for each country ? Most stamps have some thing on them which with a little practice you'll learn so you could sort them by country. Then probably you'd be best to borrow a world catalogue from the library ( now in 5 volumes and heavy !) or you could pick up a set on eBay a few years old tho postage might be a lot . Most collectors like upto date catalogues, so one 4-5 years old shouldn't be too much . Then you'll be able to put them in chronological order . And you'll have some idea of value tho condition is ALL important , whether they are used or mint ( unused ) & the catalogue "value" is only relative to other stamps and is probably 75% higher than any real resale price you might get , so don't get too excited about value .

Stamp tweezers are ideal for handling stamps .....

It's a big subject and you may find yourself in time being drawn to a particular aspect of stamp collecting and head down that avenue .

Enjoy your sorting !

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers