By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Can rebacked stamps be un-rebacked?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Nemo09/10/2017 17:39:42
2 forum posts
3 photos

Most of us, from time to time, have encountered an old classic or rarity which has either been certified by the RPS as rebacked, or has clear warning signs such as the lack of correct paper type or watermark, or simply being too thick and opaque. I currently have a Cape of Good Hope "woodblock" which falls into both categories, with a plain paper back instead of stripey laid paper, and an RPS certificate confirming this.

If one decided that the original faulty state is preferable to the later fakery, is there any fluid or process which might successfully release the backing paper from the original? Obviously the potential risk of harm needs to be weighed up. But it would be interesting to know if any members have tried & succeeded (or failed miserably...)

BOB

Julian10/10/2017 19:26:46
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Bob I do not quite see why you would want to take it to its original state if the stamp has been authenticated as such re-backed?

i would have thought the glue used for re-backing would seep into the other paper as well. Are you trying to find the Watermark or something??

Each to their own though, I have never heard of this until reading this.

regards Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers