By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Newbie with inherited collection

New Unused Collection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Erasmuson24/09/2017 20:30:15
1 forum posts

Hello

A family friend used to run a local post office and I have a collection of hundreds of unused stamps, I haven't counted, but there are A LOT. And I wondered if they are of any value, as unused. I will unload some pictures of the collection, the postmistress just randomly tore of chunks of stamps and stored them in envelopes, I have bought an proper album to store them in and have tried to keep them in as good condition as possible, the family were a family of hoarders, so some of them are a little damaged.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Robert

Trevor Bishop 125/09/2017 21:19:48
119 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Robert ,

Well a familiar story as my grandfather also worked in a post office and tucked the odd block of GVI stamps away tho not in huge quantities .

And to your question; If the stamps are decimal i.e. In pounds & new pence I would say generally they're probably

worth face value or perhaps a little more depending on which ones they are . There are a few machin stamps that are a bit scarcer from booklets but not of huge value .

If the stamps are pre Decimal QE11 then mostly sadly they are worth a lot unless some of them have various error on them like missing colours , imperforate etc . Some of the early QEII high values 2/6 - £1 are worth a bit more . Probably best to get hols of a stamp catalogue from a friend or the library and cut the value at least by 1/2 or more . If your friend is very old and was alive in 1920's they might be more interesting !

Feel free to down load some to this site & someone will have something to say & help further .

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 25/09/2017 21:20:19

Julian07/10/2017 17:35:13
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Robert sorry for late delay on my part but Trevor has pretty much covered it anyway.

Some people do seem to prefer blocks especially with identification numbers and letting and so forth on the borders, numbers obviously giving printing sheet information.

Anything else unless and specific standing out on them does not seem to create a interest, I have plenty of block pre decimals and they do not seem to stir bidding. It probably as with any thing stamps boils down to the individual but maybe if you was selling the whole collection it MAY incur interest being of blocks as it would indicate a source issue from RM as such.

I do however believe as with most stamp issues it is actually the stamp itself condition be it in block or not.

I see you have said Unused implying more value. Stanley Gibbons Cats give both used and unused values which maybe worth you seeing for yourself as a guide. These values though are a bone of contention because SG may think they are worth that but you try selling them for these figures??? I use SG cat values for insurance purposes guide only and I much prefer Ebay or auction sites as a guide to real value but even this is flawed in answer to the question of value. Watching to see bidding is an indication but sellers who list with Buy It Now means nothing.

A collection should always see more in value I believe simply because of quantity.

The older the stamps the more issues come into play as regard value and it just gets more complicated.

Good luck

Julian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values