By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stockbook without interleaves

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Newnes09/09/2017 21:04:43
2 forum posts

Hi all. Can somebody please tell me....Would it be at all possible to buy a stock book without glassine interleaves, is there such a stock book for sale anywhere?? They were produced a long time ago, as I've already got a very old one which is really showing it's age, and would love to replace it with a brand new one with around 30 white pages or more. Just cannot come across any company whatsoever that makes them. I do know that the leaves are there mainly to protect the stamps, but I cannot see a lot of damage would be done anyway if my stamps are stored properly inside the strips. Grateful of any replies. Thanks.

Trevor Bishop 110/09/2017 07:45:11
119 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Geoff .

I suppose the easy answer would be to buy a stock book with interleaves which vary in quality and price and easily available and then carefully cut/ tear out the interleaves ??

I'm not sure why you want to tho . I find they protect stamps rubbing against stamps in the opposite page especially noticeable if either of them has white areas . And if you are putting any of the newer self adhesive stamps in there is the off chance that they might stick to stamps on the opposite page ?

Though someone out there may know of some producing interleaf free stock books .

Trev

Alex10/09/2017 08:03:25
542 forum posts
3 photos

I agree.

I also had one of these older stock books when I first started collecting stamps. I found that the perforations of the stamps caught so every time I opened the book some would be pulled out and I even had some that tore.

If you do want one, however, there are some still in production, cheaply made for children in the PRC.

Al

Paul Davey 110/09/2017 16:50:07
347 forum posts
26 photos

Greetings Geoff,

I guess the difference is between a stockbook, where one puts in the stamps so half of the stamp is held by the strip and half protrudes out above the strip of plastic above, and a Hagner type leaf where the stamp is fully behind the plastic strip. In the former case use an interleaf, in the latter, no need.

I have to add, Alex, that even the cheap PRC produced ones I have seen recently include an interleaf. Not high quality and may not stay there for long, but definitely there when new!

Many dealers have second hand stockbooks. I don't know the going rate in the UK, but at a fair I went to today they were CHF4 each for a 16 pager, A4 size.

Trevor Bishop 110/09/2017 17:34:50
119 forum posts
49 photos

Mmmm s/hand stock books I've had several in auction lots and most I chuck out as they often start to have foxing .

Cheap PRC or eastern block in particular .

Yep Hagner pages are ok but are more expensive than nice black stock books & I also find double sided Hagners do tend to scratch the opposite side page. Though with Hagners it's easier to move pages around than in a stock book where I end up shunting everything along a page which time consuming .

Yes a stamp fair would be a good place to start if there's one near you this year !

Trev

Geoff Newnes10/09/2017 21:40:12
2 forum posts

Many thanks to all who've replied it really IS appreciated! So kind of you to offer your comments and idea's which have been taken onboard.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values