By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stockbook without interleaves

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Newnes09/09/2017 21:04:43
2 forum posts

Hi all. Can somebody please tell me....Would it be at all possible to buy a stock book without glassine interleaves, is there such a stock book for sale anywhere?? They were produced a long time ago, as I've already got a very old one which is really showing it's age, and would love to replace it with a brand new one with around 30 white pages or more. Just cannot come across any company whatsoever that makes them. I do know that the leaves are there mainly to protect the stamps, but I cannot see a lot of damage would be done anyway if my stamps are stored properly inside the strips. Grateful of any replies. Thanks.

Trevor Bishop 110/09/2017 07:45:11
124 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Geoff .

I suppose the easy answer would be to buy a stock book with interleaves which vary in quality and price and easily available and then carefully cut/ tear out the interleaves ??

I'm not sure why you want to tho . I find they protect stamps rubbing against stamps in the opposite page especially noticeable if either of them has white areas . And if you are putting any of the newer self adhesive stamps in there is the off chance that they might stick to stamps on the opposite page ?

Though someone out there may know of some producing interleaf free stock books .

Trev

Alex10/09/2017 08:03:25
543 forum posts
3 photos

I agree.

I also had one of these older stock books when I first started collecting stamps. I found that the perforations of the stamps caught so every time I opened the book some would be pulled out and I even had some that tore.

If you do want one, however, there are some still in production, cheaply made for children in the PRC.

Al

Paul Davey 110/09/2017 16:50:07
351 forum posts
26 photos

Greetings Geoff,

I guess the difference is between a stockbook, where one puts in the stamps so half of the stamp is held by the strip and half protrudes out above the strip of plastic above, and a Hagner type leaf where the stamp is fully behind the plastic strip. In the former case use an interleaf, in the latter, no need.

I have to add, Alex, that even the cheap PRC produced ones I have seen recently include an interleaf. Not high quality and may not stay there for long, but definitely there when new!

Many dealers have second hand stockbooks. I don't know the going rate in the UK, but at a fair I went to today they were CHF4 each for a 16 pager, A4 size.

Trevor Bishop 110/09/2017 17:34:50
124 forum posts
45 photos

Mmmm s/hand stock books I've had several in auction lots and most I chuck out as they often start to have foxing .

Cheap PRC or eastern block in particular .

Yep Hagner pages are ok but are more expensive than nice black stock books & I also find double sided Hagners do tend to scratch the opposite side page. Though with Hagners it's easier to move pages around than in a stock book where I end up shunting everything along a page which time consuming .

Yes a stamp fair would be a good place to start if there's one near you this year !

Trev

Geoff Newnes10/09/2017 21:40:12
2 forum posts

Many thanks to all who've replied it really IS appreciated! So kind of you to offer your comments and idea's which have been taken onboard.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers