Cape of Good Hope triangles - largest blocks

Updating Mr Stevenson's reference book

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Nemo05/09/2017 17:45:58
2 forum posts
3 photos

Hi,

This is my first post, so please go easy on me if I've messed anything up ... there doesn't seem to be a Preview option!

If anyone uses Alan Stevenson's famous 1950 book "The Triangular Stamps of the Cape of Good Hope" as a reference, you may be interested to annotate his chart on page 131 which lists the largest known blocks at that time.

I recently obtained a copy of the 1962 Maurice Burrus COGH auction catalogue, which includes three blocks larger than Mr Stevenson's stated maxima.

Lot 97 is a used block of six 1d woodblocks in the Carmine shade, stated to be unique, raising the bar from 4 in Stevenson. Lot 144 is a mint block of thirty-two De La Rue 1d in the brownish-red shade, trouncing the block of 4 listed in Stevenson. And lot 148 is an amazing mint block of 56 De La Rue 4d in a shade catalogued as greenish blue, which is not currently listed by Gibbons ; the largest multiple listed by Stevenson in any of the known shades is 33.

Here are the photos :

010.jpg

011.jpg

BOB

Paul Davey 105/09/2017 20:54:18
353 forum posts
26 photos

Great first post Bob. It's not my field, but I appreciate any research like this. Nothing in the "Big COGH" sales of more recent times? Hackmey, Maxwell- Joseph, Maximus etc? I have some of these auction cats in my cellar store. There is also the Corinphila edition d'or of the Hackmey collection with much useful info.

I look forward to more useful stuff!

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers