By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Canada 5c

Perfin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian31/08/2017 14:15:54
619 forum posts
260 photos

Anyone have a clue what this perfin means on a Canada 5c stamp please?

canada 5c.jpg

canada 5c st.jpg

I would imagine its supposed to be ST

Julian31/08/2017 14:44:58
619 forum posts
260 photos

Just done a bit of searching on the net and this maybe a 4 letter perfin rather than 2.

Looking from the back of the stamp most certainly anyway it would appear the bottom part of what I thought was an S is actually a D and the top bit would then be a C.

With my luck this will be a forgery as from what I gather these are scarce to come by. I certainly at the moment cannot find anything and with this being a poor perfin mark, its hard to tell what it should be!

I also note the cancel mark seems to have Montreal IF it is indeed a cancel and below it could be North?  The stamp does look cancelled around it.

Any info guys would be a help, thanks.

Edited By Julian on 31/08/2017 15:11:50

Paul Davey 131/08/2017 16:17:05
353 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Julian,

I don't know the perfin and my catalogues are not currently available (now sitting in airport awaiting a flight). However take heart that perfins, with very few exceptions, are almost never forged. For many years they were regarded as worthless and destroyed. The high value stamps occasionally found are worth far less, so why spoil a "good-un" by perforating it. Some of the low value, cheap stamps might command a slight premium with a perfin, but not many. Four main exceptions come to mind:

GB Board of Trade with a crown & BT

​various countries with "specimen" or the local language equivalent - almost always a premium item

Various commonwealth countries where stamps were perfinned "OS" for "On Service" where there are some rarities

Finally, China where a certain dealer a few decades ago made bogus and fake perfins on some decent stamps. He charged a premium price, in one case over $1000 for something which would have been $20 before. There is a rare price-list he prepared, fortunately illustrating some of them. I reckon the price-list is worth more than the stamps!

Paul

Julian31/08/2017 16:48:43
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Paul thanks for the reply I was getting lonely in here making posts without reply.

I just read a article by a Canadian stamp collector and he said the ohms is common but he says there are 12 varieties which are scarce and definitely on mint stamps. He says that forgeries are common but I would imagine he refers to mint stamps this has been cancelled so it cant be fake I don't think. He also states these were generally used in blocks to make up values for other post rates?

This is 5c purple - Thomas D'Arcy McGee 1927/8 and he says this coincides with the airmail rate at the time of issue and this particular stamp had a short run. I have emailed him but it did not have the platform to add pictures so he will probably ask. I just received this stamp today and did not even know it was a perfin so was just wondering about it. I have to say the blurred print on the front I believe not to be part of the cancel I think its just some form maybe of company print it really is hard to make out but it does look like Montreal North and I have tried searching for it and found nothing.

I also found a Canadian perfin site and nothing there either!

Julian31/08/2017 19:14:51
619 forum posts
260 photos

Just an update Paul, I was way off as per usual and I did go one the Canadian perfin site its actually BT for the Bell Telephone Co Montreal, so the black black ink mark is probably a Montreal hand stamp of some sort.

No doubt its not worth much but an interesting find with the lot I brought.

Alex31/08/2017 19:18:03
543 forum posts
3 photos

Julian

I think that it may be a perfin for the Canadian Bell Telephone company, hence BT.

Sorry, I don't visit the cemetery here very often these days but I have been busy elsewhere with my other interests. But I'll pop in now and again to make sure you're looked after.

Al

Alex31/08/2017 19:21:14
543 forum posts
3 photos

Ha ha, I see you beat me to it.

See, you're doing great. You don't need me at all.

Keep up the good work.......

Julian31/08/2017 23:17:53
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hii Alex,

Yeah its been slow to say the least.

Glad your having fun elsewhere though. Paul was on a flight so I took the question to the horses mouth. Did not even think it could be a B. Dont know where Minxy Carmen has gone but I think she may have found other interests ha ha ha .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers