By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Minxy Carmen Country

Champlain celebration

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Champlain celebration

Champlain celebration

1908 was a champagne moment in Canada’s history, and the Tercentenary of Quebec was celebrated by a fine recess-printed set of portrait and pictorial stamps

Julian30/07/2017 20:24:48
619 forum posts
260 photos

Now don't you think these stamps actually look like money!

Makes you wonder what you can buy with half a cent as well.

Very interesting about plate blocks and varieties and along with some other facets of stamp collecting. Now I really could get into collecting these!

Minxy, what can you get hold for me????

Carmen31/07/2017 13:35:33
500 forum posts
56 photos

Actually Julian, saw the article and read through it quick-like, but haven';t gone to go look and see what I have (if any of them!) in my own collection yet... will let you know!

Julian31/07/2017 23:16:03
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Carmen,

I tell you something if I could get a set of those I would frame them because I really like the style, I may even do a search on Ebay and see what price they fetch?

In fact that's where I am going now.

Julian31/07/2017 23:27:38
619 forum posts
260 photos

Well not surprising really the set is very expensive and they are not what I call mint. Some people have a very weird perspective upon grading for a stamp that has been hinged is not mint, nor one that has been cancelled?

There's a couple of singles up for bidding may go for one of those. I could not find the 20cent one though other than in a set which is sad as I like the pair.

We shall see.

Julian05/08/2017 15:25:35
619 forum posts
260 photos

Well Minxy,

I been doing some bidding and unsuccessful its been! The half cent you can get quite easily and cheap but as regard the others the price gets a bit high. Sets are way out of my league for sure as regard price and I am not even sure how some sellers can be asking what they are.

I do note that there seem to be many varieties most certainly with print shift but colours as well having bolder colours. I was going to bid on a lovely mix of stamps different era's which also appealed to me but I know I have said this before, Canada do produce some very nice stamps, I do seem to have some sort of fixation with Canada, I think I must either have Canadian spirit in me or I was there in a previous life, pity I cannot remember!!!!!

I shall keep looking, I do not want to particularly buy singles or used but it looks like I am going to have to pay a fair bit for the 20c, so my plan is to look for this one first and worry about the 1/2 cent later as they are cheap.

If you have Cat values of these I would be interested Minxy just so I know whats reasonable or not, also just how many are in a complete set?

O.K I think I got the complete set Q 1/2, 1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 15 & 20 so a set of 8? 

Edited By Julian on 05/08/2017 15:27:34

Edited By Julian on 05/08/2017 15:40:15

Julian05/08/2017 15:52:21
619 forum posts
260 photos

Oh wow Minxy,

Rather relevant to French Canada as well is finding these on covers and the price they fetch!!! Especially when you understand how the denominations tie in with Europe postage at the time.

Now I wonder if my brain can hold all this information I am learningcheeky

Julian05/08/2017 16:30:29
619 forum posts
260 photos

GUTTED! I just found the stamps I mentioned to you in above post that I missed "A lovely mix" well boy am I kicking myself now, I just found out the prices they are worthangry!!!!! But then on the other hand I do not know I would have got them for the price soldangel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers