By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Found my collection after 45 years

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve tatford11/07/2017 16:46:44
1 forum posts

In my teenage years I collected GB stamps, even at 13 years old I identified watermarks etc. and used SG "Collect British Stamps" book to catalogue my collection. For some reason girls became more interesting and I stopped collecting in 1972 aged 17. I had completely forgotten it until I recently found my collection and catalogue amongst some stuff I cleared from my late Fathers house, 45 years later. I didn't expect to have any interest until I opened the album and became instantly hooked again.

I just thought it was a nice story to share.

My intention is to pick up where I left off. Pre decimal GB stamps. I've catalogued my collection on Excel and I now need to begin to fill in some gaps. I also need to update my album. I was thinking about using Hagner / Vario stocksheets for my collection, somehow labelling the stamps with SG catalogue number so I can reconcile with the entry on my spreadsheet. Has anyone got any ideas for this.

Plenty more questions to come

Steve

Julian11/07/2017 18:33:37
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum.

Yes great to hear most people who find or come into inheritance want to get rid, so nice to hear the opposite for a change and of course with pre decimal you enter the error stamps fraternity more easily.

This is a great forum and although slow at times there is some good people in here with good knowledge.

Hope we can help you in anyway and that maybe even a local stamp club might be good for you to assist.

Will keep an eye out for you.

Julian

Julian11/07/2017 18:36:34
619 forum posts
260 photos

Oh and by the way, I found my old childhood collection not so long ago and flogged it on Ebay, I now sort of regret that, especially after recently doing a search on Japanese and Chinese stamps as I saw many of the stamps I had while doing it and they were not cheap, I now understand why a Chinese guy brought it?????

You live and learn.

Julian

Carmen15/07/2017 14:13:35
500 forum posts
56 photos

Welcome to the fora Steve! Enjoy the somewhat-wacky-but-always-knowledgeable crowd in here!

Gillian Hutchinson21/07/2017 15:02:45
61 forum posts
2 photos

Yes, welcome indeed, Steve. So glad you're not getting rid of your first stamp album. Did you get a decent price for yours, Julian?

Steve, this is a good forum, where you'll get plenty of advice and encouragement. It's just a bit quiet at times.

Gillian

Edited By Gillian Hutchinson on 21/07/2017 15:03:42

Julian21/07/2017 20:50:28
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Gillian,

Not from what I can remember no it was not. I recently did a search for Japan and China stamps and I saw a lot of mine and they were not cheap. I had no idea at all about stamps it was just my childhood collection.

Very few of these were purchased they all came from and through my fathers small business on parcels and so forth.

Lots were from around the world, had i known i was going to collect Diana I would never have sold it.

Gillian Hutchinson09/08/2017 16:01:45
61 forum posts
2 photos

That was too bad about your collection, Julian, especially as you found you could have sold them for more, but doesn't that often happen - you get less for something than it's valued at. When I was collecting stamps as a child, my brother had a Stanley Gibbons catalogue and showed me how to check the value of each stamp. I remember checking out any stamps I had in my album, just for curiosity's sake, but it didn't occur to me at any time that I could or should sell them.

Currently most of the stamps in my collection come from the envelopes that ham radio QSL cards come in, but back then, when you could easily buy stamps for collecting, those little packets were popular for children to give to their older siblings as Christmas or birthday presents. My younger sister bought me a packet one Christmas but the package was so small it disappeared inside the Christmas tree. Maybe she should have packaged a la Amazon today lol.

Gillian

Julian09/08/2017 19:52:58
619 forum posts
260 photos

To be honest Gillian, eve when I sold it I was clueless, it had just been packed away and never saw the light of day.

I joined Ebay and just pt things on there to sell, in those days I collected Denby Pottery, still got loads of it up in the loft, it was for when I was going to move in to a bigger house which never happened. Lol My loft is a collectors dream the stuff thats up there and the worst thing about that is with postage now being so high, its not worth selling it.

I have been getting rid of stuff slowly but surely to charity the money I spent on things which is just going back to nowhere land.

We are indeed funny creatures.

Paul Davey 109/08/2017 19:58:30
351 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Gillian

shame you didn't keep the QSL cards and envelopes as they arrived. They can fetch good money from smaller. more obscure places!

A relative of my wife, many years ago, handed me a carrier bag full of British 1d reds, all badly torn from the covers - by her to help me! I could have cried!

Gillian Hutchinson09/09/2017 16:32:48
61 forum posts
2 photos

Paul, my husband would never dream of selling any of those qsl cards, no matter how rare they were. Besides, a lot of those cards were for other radio hams, so that would be another reason for not selling them.

Gillian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers