By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Thermochromic Stamp USA

Total Eclipse

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Thermochromic stamp for the USA’s total solar eclipse

Thermochromic stamp for the USA’s total solar eclipse

The US Postal Service has pre-empted the total solar eclipse which will be visible across the country on August 21 by issuing a stamp which mimics its effect.

Julian11/07/2017 15:06:27
619 forum posts
260 photos

What a brilliant stamp to produce!!! Nothing like rubbing a stamp is there and getting an image!!!devil

You have got to admit you would not resist it. And what a great stamp to get through the post.  Is it the Forever USA which determines the price of the stamp like us using 2nd class which then holds the value even with increases, I seem to remember this cropping up before?

I don't understand the technology used and I assume once rubbed the image does not revert back which is a down side if so. But this certainly should give RM something to think about in making stamps interesting, maybe they could produce one of T.Blair which when you rub it you see devil or a few other people I can think of.

oh Yeah I forgot we have to be politically correct, shame huh.

Edited By Julian on 11/07/2017 15:11:50

Trevor Bishop 111/07/2017 15:45:25
127 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Julian ,

I seem to remember GB had a "thermo" stamp which had a football on it I think ? And when you held your thumb in it the brown colour disappeared , back in 2000's I think . Not really on a par with the Austrian embroidered stamps tho .

Trev

Julian11/07/2017 18:42:57
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Trev, Really??!! I seem to remember something of what your talking about but not a stamp as such, when reading this I was thinking holograms and there was something in my head but not a stamp but it would be good if someone knows there was.

Julian11/07/2017 19:12:09
619 forum posts
260 photos

Well I be, I just Goggled it and there were 2 sets in the UK, I never heard of it before but one was for 2005 for magic circle and the one your thinking of which looks like a football was 2001 for nobel prize chemistry and the football!!

Well done that man. This is not as amazing as I thought then from America, I have to take that back with RM thenblush

Alex11/07/2017 19:28:52
543 forum posts
3 photos

There are a few out there, mostly of recent issue.

My favorites are the thermo - aromatic stamps though. There is one that smells of coffee and I have some German stamps with strawberries printed on them - you gently rub the image with your finger and the stamps gives off a strawberry like aroma (relevant to the tennis season we're in!).

Julian11/07/2017 20:47:21
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Alex, yes there was a number of countries on this site and smell ones as you state. Its funny as you go along in this stamp world just whats happening. I believe it said that the Magic set was a novelty set so I'm not sure whether this constitutes for real postage even though the RM printed them. I also don't believe I seen the other set which Trevor said but again it was on this site so they must have. I just been back on this site and found a miniature sheet of weather for the U.K and I have seen this but not known it was this Thermochromic issue.

India have also brought out a coffee flavour stamp. I cant find the stamps I mentioned to Trev again but there is a whole lot more of UK issues and a whole swathe of similar issues of stamps. I never knew.

Trevor Bishop 112/07/2017 06:02:08
127 forum posts
45 photos

Here it is 2001 ! , well it's almost a football ha. But in fact a carbon 60 molecule . The whole set was interesting with the 65p showing a hologram , one embossed , I think the 40p was scratch and sniff( ?),

img_2785.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers