By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

New start looking for advice

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ethan Carroll06/07/2017 19:56:41
1 forum posts

I have recently decided to tidy a stamp collection inherited from my papa with the view of getting involved and adding to the collection.

The collection has been in the family for some time and wouldn't want to compromise the value of the collection in anyway (Although i feel there is little value to compromise).

At present the collection is a bit of a mess. There are loose stamps, envelopes of stamps and "The Empire Postage Stamp Album by T H Hinton" in which some are secure is showing signs of previous damp and severe damage to the spine.

My Questions are:

-Would any potential value be lost if removed from the book and secured in an album by non adhesive means?

Dose the book its self hold any value asides nostalgic making it a cool place to store the collection rather than a more modern solution?

Any tips on how i should organise the stamps? (ie age, Country, Rarity...)

Any advice is awesome

Julian06/07/2017 20:29:05
552 forum posts
247 photos

Hi Ethan, well I am not a serious collector but I know a little hopefully to guide you. The stamps at present I assume are mounted with little adhesive paper mounts and these always leave residue on the back of the stamp, so taking them off if done properly and re mounted does not matter as the stamp has already been mounted but the problem is damaging the mounted stamp already? If the Album they are in is so bad its not nice then I would go for re mounting however, if there is a valuable stamp amongst them just be extremely careful or cut the how piece of paper mounted an and in fact you could do that with all of them?!!! if your keeping them to carry on collecting it does not really matter unless you pass over and someone gets them or you try selling them!!

As regard the title of the Album I would try and research that on the net and or maybe someone can give you the answer here?

As for organizing your collection that's your fun part of collecting to do and choose and there is NO definite way of doing it.

The options are entirely up to you and then while your collecting you may find information which will change your mind. I collect by theme so I do not have a problem in sorting but it depends on the nature of your collection if it is a world collection then that's the best way to carry on. As you travel along your stamp path and if you ask question in here or where ever you intend to go with it, like a stamp club, you will come along subjects like watermarks, plate marks, error stamps and a whole array of other things related to stamps. But that is up to you again to decide. Without seeing your collection its hard to give you a pointer but as it sounds world that's a big subject matter, so maybe your going to want to take a singular path, as you have said year, country or theme.

This really does not help you because its back to you and your choice really, see what others say they may have good ideas for you.

Welcome to the forum and there is some good people in here who know much more than I, so enjoy.

Julian

Carmen08/07/2017 13:15:59
498 forum posts
56 photos

Hey Ethan, welcome to the Fora!

I'm in a similar situation as you, having been given two old stamp albums by some friends, a Whitman Postage Stamp Album and a 29th Edition Gibbons "The Strand" Stamp Album, both dating back to the forties or fifties if I recall correctly.

I too was initially going to remove the stamps and then re-home them in my own albums but then I got to thinking, "nah, these are part of postal history! Why not keep them!" So I catalogued the stamps in them (I use fantastic software called EZStamp) and have decided that should I get some double stamps from the time period that would go into the album, I'll just throw those in there as well to add to them.

One of the things you'll want to do, though, is to ensure that no further damage can come to your albums through humidity or other factors - I buy refillable stuff here in Canada called DampChek that absorbs humidity. I keep some near my stamp collection shelves and in my office which is in our basement.

But like Julian said, anything goes when it comes to stamp collecting... whatever YOU want to do is just FINE (don't let the stamp snobs, of which there *aren't* any in this forum by the way!) tell you otherwise.

Julian08/07/2017 19:31:48
552 forum posts
247 photos

Hey Minxy Carmen Long time no seeheart, where you been hiding that Queens head of yours?? I hope its you just been busy and not poorlyquestion

Glad to see you making posts again. Gillian's been far to quiet since been gone!!!!

Carmen10/07/2017 13:05:55
498 forum posts
56 photos

Hey Julian! Yes, been well (and lippy as usual), but busy! Always good to be back, even if it means I have to put up with your sauciness, mister! laugh

Gillian Hutchinson10/07/2017 23:19:36
59 forum posts
2 photos

Welcome to the stamp forums, Ethan. Julian and Carmen have given you good advice, with which I would agree. Just don't do anything silly like using glue to put the stamps in an album or leaving hinges - if you decide to use them - in a humid environment where they will end up like one massive piece of plastic which can't be prised apart. Have fun with your new-found hobby!

Welcome back, Carmen.

Julian, I don't come here often, but glad you missed me.

Gillian

Julian11/07/2017 09:37:38
552 forum posts
247 photos

HA HA HA HA,

@ Carmen, now you just know, you love Heinz sauce!

@ Gillian, Oh I am sure both of you are missed by others as well but I'm just bold enough to say so and the others are probably marriedsmiley, which gives me plenty of scope to be Heinz???!!!devil

Gillian Hutchinson21/07/2017 14:50:37
59 forum posts
2 photos

Julian, I am also married.

Gillian

Julian21/07/2017 20:54:59
552 forum posts
247 photos

@ Gillian thats OK I'm single I won't tell angel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers