By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Commemorative collection

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alistair Bruce21/06/2017 22:21:04
2 forum posts

Wehave been collecting UK commemorative stamps for both our daughters since their births in1978 and 1980. They have been carefully and lovingly curated into several complete albums. Other than that my knowlesge of philately is rather limited.We now wish to insure them so I would be very grateful for any advice about getting the albums valued and where to go for insurance.

Many thanks

Julian21/06/2017 23:15:45
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi, Insuring them is fairly easy you would do this on your household insurance, I insure my collections by looking at a Stanaley Gibbons Catalogue and just take the Mint not used price and you can look around the internet and see what dealers are asking and make your own valuation.

I however would not know how to get a proper wrote Insurance valuation but I am sure someone will know that. in here.

Actually your task is not to bad, the problem would arise however if it was a mixed collection of varied stamps because of the stamps nature there are many factors which determine value, then you would have to find a stamp insurer to give you that written clarification.

So my collection is first of all photo backed up using a simple word document.

Then I have searched Catalogues and internet to get the stamp values.

Then I add all that up and there is your valuation.

I do not feel your collections will be vastly valuable to warrant getting a proper wrote insurance quote but others may say differently, as you may feel the same way.

Hope that helps you feel easier anyway but see what someone says about a proper wrote insurance document.

Julian

Julian21/06/2017 23:25:04
619 forum posts
260 photos

I have just typed in to a search engine "stamp insurance valuations" and there are many, you could also add your specific area to find one near you, from what I see, its charge for valuation is around £25 or a percentage of the whole value of the collection?

So I think that tells me, my own valuation using Catalogues or internet is just as good, simply because your stamps are straight forward sets.

Julian

Julian21/06/2017 23:35:08
619 forum posts
260 photos

just another thing your Library should have Stanley Gibbons Catalogues but you could also go to Amazon or Ebay and pick up a Stanley Gibbons Concise Gt Britain Cat, sometimes on Amazon you can get them as cheap as chips.

You could even ask the Library to get the latest edition and I am sure they would have access to one somewhere, I asked my Library to acquire a special Catalogue for me and they do this service if its liable to be used a lot and stamp Cats generally are.

Julian

Alistair Bruce22/06/2017 06:58:41
2 forum posts

Julian,

Most helpful, many thanks.

Carmen08/07/2017 13:31:17
500 forum posts
56 photos

Hey Alistair, one of the things we're told here is that you really need to check to see just how well your household insurance *will* cover your stamps. For that reason, since I'm a member of Royal Philatelic Society of Canada, they have member rates for specific stamp insurance, so I opted for that instead. Up to a certain value, they don't require an inventory or anything and in my case, that will more than cover the value of the stamps I own.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers