By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Queen Victoria Half penny red rose

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian09/05/2017 21:22:44
464 forum posts
221 photos

Paul a 3 ???????? so I take it we looking to the right and I then agree with Alex its an 8, as you two are not looking where I am!

Steve Hutson09/05/2017 22:00:01
8 forum posts
2 photos

Paul, Julian and Alex,

Thanks so much for the effort you've gone to help me out. As you can see it's a tricky one to work out!! I really do appreciate the help!! Thank you so much!!

Paul Davey 109/05/2017 22:14:46
314 forum posts
26 photos

Found a link on the web showing a plate 9 - try comparing!

**LINK**

Steve Hutson09/05/2017 22:26:44
8 forum posts
2 photos

Cheers Paul! I've had a very quick look and it's looking like you guys have said, less likely to be a 9 plate!! I'm gunna take a closer look tomorrow though!!!

Julian09/05/2017 23:28:19
464 forum posts
221 photos

Geez this is hard but the example you have posted Paul is where I am looking at Steves and I still see a 9 BUT this is dark print,

As always though, you throw doubt into the fray as in your example the number appears white?

As far as I am concerned it really does need to be known does the number appear anywhere, if it can then looking at the stamp and a lighter colour I have to say an 8?????

Paul Davey 110/05/2017 06:04:20
314 forum posts
26 photos

Number is always white, always at the side of the stamp reading inwards (bottom of number nearest Queen's head). Take a trawl through 1/2d bantams in google images. I don't have time to do this atm.

Steve Hutson10/05/2017 08:28:39
8 forum posts
2 photos

Without trying to sound like I'm sending you lot round in circles, what's people's opinion on it being Plate 1??

Julian10/05/2017 10:05:54
464 forum posts
221 photos

Hi Steve, to be frank my friend I reckon the best thing you can do is try various different ways of scanning this stamp.

In the images I have seen so far on the net and with Paul's link as well the number is clearly white. I can see no clear image what so ever with your picture Steve. I can see all sort of images on the blown up version and I can make multiple other images as well. I have taken your original picture and done as Alex did but it is no good, you need the stamp in front of you.

So without doubt, all my own comments about 9 are not valid as this is dark in image.

The number on the right hand side of the stamp I can make out which is light in colour could be either an 8 or a 3 but I have just seen a 3 on the net and I do not see it on Steve's stamp, In fact I am sorry to say I see no clear image at all.

I think this has to be the clearest indication to people who ask about inheritance as to why a collection needs to be seen and WHY you cannot give a value just be looking at pictures. YOU need these stamps in front of you so you can take scans and pics your self to bring these numbers out. I would love to help Steve but I cannot see any clear number or hint of one and thus you need to be able to scan and take pics in different lighting as well, as I have just had with my perfin stamp. To look at this stamp in front of you its black with a hint of colour, under bright light the colour becomes more visible but it is taking the picture under the light which then you can see real colour.

This is looking for a number and from what I have seen so far on the net it should not be that hard, difficult yes but not hard. So as it stands, even with Alex altered version and how I have now played with your picture using software Steve, I can make no suitable adjustment to the picture to bring out the number. I love the asking of number 1 now because I can see loads of them but I again do not think that's the number.

Alex and Paul are your best hope on this question and I would always take their advice because they both have good knowledge, as Alex has said, their maybe a 1 in his image, which I still cannot see, so I would go for it lol lol.

What I do find intriguing with your normal picture Steve, you should be able to see a number as the colour and picture seem good, magnification is not the answer I feel its the enhancement of the scan and picture which can only be done your end but I am sure if you play around with this image your end all of a sudden it will become clear.

However I feel nothing I say can be taken for granted, as all I am saying is what I would be doing myself, you have two good guys giving answers and I cant see what they do. So I am going to bow out and say good luck Steve but I think your looking at an 3 or an 8 as your pictures stands.

Edited By Julian on 10/05/2017 10:06:30

Steve Hutson10/05/2017 11:07:43
8 forum posts
2 photos

Ok thank you for the time you've taken to have a look! I very much appreciate it and if I do ever find it out I will of course let you all know!! P.s this is a great forum!!!

Thanks again

Steve

Julian10/05/2017 13:46:04
464 forum posts
221 photos

Hi Steve, please don't let my words discourage you, I am old, my eyes are not great and whilst I love to help folk, if its not straight forward or something I can help search in the net with I am not very knowledgeable. This issue you need to know about font styles and how these numbers hide.

YES YES please always let us now the outcome even if we cannot do it! I personally always love being proved wrong or right, learning is Key and this will only help if I come across a stamp like it, lol the other thing is my memory is not good with all the different facets of stamps.

I try to make the site funny in my own way is about what best can be said for me as an individual. But yes I have loved my time in here and the people in here. Its been a fascinating trip for me and I commend the people who do have the knowledge, OH and Library, don't want to give to much credit away lol lol.

Its a good forum by far.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Michael G Read
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers