By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Song Birds

Like a good bird, they're not just for Christmas!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Songbirds

Songbirds

Issued on May 4, 2017

Julian03/05/2017 18:42:20
619 forum posts
260 photos

Well lets hope this subject gets some reviews being of the Dodo kind???

And a cheaper set for a change for those who collect packs, that should also appease a smile or 2.

This subject takes me back to my childhood so quite like it and indeed I see most of these around my garden and I like to try and entice birds into my garden but the cats round here are in mob force so I see a lot of death this time of year. The poor blackbirds not only had Magpies to contend with but a kitten which had scaled the tree they nested in, which was the end of that.

Anyhow moving on, commemorative worth 2/5? They want to tell people who live in cities about songbirds being an everyday part of life, one thinks not as its either pigeons or seagulls!!! However I see regularly 4 out of this lot. And I bet most are not aware of the majority of these. other than "Spring Watch"!

As the comment says "birds do uplift the feeling" so I am going for 4/5

Quality of design 4/5 Emmmmm I dis agree entirely and I feel 3/5 is more than it warrants, colourful?? Blue and Green, er I don't think that's colourful add a Robin would be an improvement all round on that score and more likely to see!

Wow factor 2/5 ?????? Yes I agree, you could have put a Christmas Tesco turkey on there and an Iceland Pack of Chicken breast and I am sure everyone would know those birds and when they got it through the post you can here "They starting Christmas early this year mum!!!!" Now that would be a wow factor chat at the bus stop. But 2/5 it is

The Pay an Go bird stamps issue, were far more attractive than these!

Alex03/05/2017 20:26:02
543 forum posts
3 photos

Hmm, a good attempt by RM. The subject is a good one and the images almost look like pen & washes. Just a tad too wishy - washy maybe?

Pity there isn't a Blackbird, but then they had one in the 1960s bird stamp issue.

I'd be happy to see these stamps on my mail. (Having said that, I still haven't had a current commemorate stamp on any of my mail yet this year!)

I have a garden but not many birds as they don't like my little cat for some reason.

Julian03/05/2017 22:35:42
619 forum posts
260 photos

Alex, I have more cats in my garden than birds and more colourful than those images, I even have one that scratches my front door!!! No sadly they are all black printed these days although I do get surprises but usually scribbled over..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers