Here are some sheets, on or off paper from Germany

30 german 1.jpg

30 german 2.jpg

30 german 3.jpg

30 german 4.jpg

Alex09/04/2017 12:58:45
539 forum posts
3 photos

Hmmmm, spreading out your collecting areas a bit? If so, a nice start to an interesting area.

As I collect Germany I have most of the miniature sheets. The ones prior to 1970 are the ones to look out for.

Here are some of my favourites, so far.

img_9006.jpg

1937 miniature sheet on cover. It was intended for the Germany flight but this was cancelled. The cover was instead put on the North America flight and dropped off over Cologne. The red cachet states that fact. The purple cachet is the Germany flight cachet, put on before the flight was cancelled. As the cover wasn't going all the way to North America it did not receive a cachet for that flight. The stamps received the Frankfurt cancels used for Zeppelin covers. The block of stamps on the left were from a booklet sheet.

img_9010.jpg

Philatelic cover posted from the Munich international stamp exhibition of 1973. It carries the miniature sheet sold there and the official event postmark. Not worth much.

img_9012.jpg

1968 First anniversary of the death of Konrad Adenauer miniature sheet on Express cover. Note the Churchill stamps. Not worth much but interesting, especially as it is an Express usage.

img_9017.jpg

This is the 1935 Ostropa miniature sheet for the stamp exhibition held in Prussia. This is a rare and valuable miniature sheet, in good condition. Collectors pay up to four figures for these sheets. The gum used on these stamps and miniature sheets is acidic and cause damage to the paper if not removed. Many have been destroyed by the acidic gum, so a good example is worth the premium mentioned. I bought my sheet twenty years ago when they weren't quite so expensive, even so it cost me nearly £100 back then. My example is damaged as can be seen at the bottom of the sheet. It is also stuck on an envelope. It is much too fragile to soak the gum off the sheet. Note also the discoloration to the stamp perforations. Fortunately there hasn't been any deterioration since I bought the sheet. It is the most expensive item in my collections. By the way, the OSTROPA and 1935 are the watermark.

Julian09/04/2017 16:07:26
597 forum posts
253 photos

Well you know me and Paul have discussed this and stamps on paper and indeed the gums used, so now you have also backed this up. I find this about stamps really fascinating to understand even though I will forget but it really makes for good study. Again with the 1935 sheet, I love the old numerals they used, I have no idea why but just as the regalia of the WW2 I think the Germans showed very artistic knowledge.

lol well keep watching because I might be making you an offer, I have a whole stack of German stamps which I tried to sell but no one seems to want. Most the old ones are spoiled in some way. If they dont sell your welcome to them because I cannot start another collection. Again these all come from stock books which is what I wanted, more than the stamps.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values