By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Austria & Germany reprints of early stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 118/03/2017 15:32:40
87 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Everyone ,

I have been looking at the early issues of Austria SG N2--- SG75 & under several sets from that period it states there were reprints of the stamps . I wanted to know how I tell the difference from the 1st printings and how does this affect the cat value ? For example ; I bought a collection of Austrian stamps which had a good selection of early stamps & took the cv in account when bidding but I'm wondering whether in fact that if they are reprints & they may be worthless of worth very little .

In the cat it says read note under N14 and I can't see a N14 ( 2009 catalogue )

This also applied to a collection of early Bavaria and other German states I bought .

Any help would be appreciated.

Trev

Alex19/03/2017 11:31:17
477 forum posts
121 photos

Trevor

You may find the Austrian Philatelic Society useful in this matter. They have a article about reprints on their webpage.

**LlNK**

http://www.austrianphilately.com/reprints/index.htm

With regards the German stamps you will be better off with the Michel Specialized (now in English) catalogues than the SG!

Hope that helps.

Al

Edited By Alex on 19/03/2017 11:42:20

Alex19/03/2017 13:58:34
477 forum posts
121 photos

Regarding the Bavarian reprints, my Michel Deutschland Spezial states;

Das Papier der Neudrucke weist keine Seidenfaeden auf. Stattdessen wurde auf der Rueckseite ein roter Tintenstrich angebracht.

The reprints are catalogued at a higher price than the ordinary stamps.

Edited By Alex on 19/03/2017 14:21:04

Trevor Bishop 121/03/2017 07:22:33
87 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Alex ,

Thanks very much for your very helpful replies ..

I suppose with all imperf stamps the possibility of producing fake stamps must be fairly easy & hence my worries .I was looking to put some stamps on some of my empty pages in my collection & was surprised how cheap some of them were on eBay compared to the CV. Of course condition and margins are always something which affect the price . Oh well, hopefully I'll be able to fill a few more gaps & as long as I don't start paying silly money for "stamps" & I'm happy to see some examples on the album page that's all that matters .

Thanks again

Trev

Alex21/03/2017 08:40:05
477 forum posts
121 photos

One should never go by the catalogue value; these are a rough guide at best and normally don't reflect the true prices. SG is notorious in its pricing. The price is what the company sells its stamps for, not their true market values. Hence all the tales of woe where folk price up their collections and get a total of £X but are shocked when the value is really a much lower value of £Y.

As a rough guide the true value of stamps tend to be half to a quarter the price mentioned in the catalogues. A much truer reflection are the prices gained in the auctions such as ebay, as well as 'real' auctions as these reflect the real world and what folk are willing to pay.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers