By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Machines and stamp packs

I got my answer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian16/03/2017 11:12:49
383 forum posts
182 photos

I made a remark in here about stamp packs such as David Bowie. I also had a question I was sort of embarrassed to ask.

Well one of the girls at the P.O who I get on well with I decided to ask and boy what a trip was the answer, she said at the end "How long you been collecting stamps?" with a Carmen cheeky smile as if to say "huh one up over you", you know what girls are likesmiley

She gave me this little booklet which you could probably get on line and she had a cute little name for it regarding future issues of stamp packs.

The answer to my Question was, each till or counter gets 50 of the stamp pack release in all values, but of course the 1st and 2nd go like hot cakes and it is only while they have these they will offer which design you would like, just as I was aware at Christmas so as she said those who know are their 1st when released which is a Tuesday of the month.

She said in her particular book she has loads of the higher values which people would not usually buy at the back of most previous issues!!!

As regard machines or pay to go as they are known their is just one roll of all the different stamps of that issue, so as I understand her words, it is pot luck which value gets printed on one design.

Now I saw on Ebay selling a strip of stamps as an error because the first stamp was not as seen in a RM stamp issue, well that is not an error in any way but there you go I have lived and learned something else. Just because a stamp pack may be sold all the same in sequence does not mean its an error if the sequence is out of place.

Now the post an go machine has a separate box for the set if you wished to buy them as a set. I was amazed at what I did not know (yet again) and we did have a good chuckle. I did not even know you can just buy pay an go stamps as they are let alone sets. I thought you had to go through the process of actually posting as well and now this all fits to another thing I was told about the scam with registered/signed for which the RM never anticipated with this set up and paid dearly for it.

So if I was a collector of stamp issues or packs, you would have to be first in the queue on a Tuesday to get the lesser values or the whole lot if you preferred, rather than paying out RMs Price however there is the fact with a stamps pack you get the extra info within it. Lol if it was me I would find a Minxy P.O girl and make a habit of getting one to save me a set every week they issued just in case I could not get there one Tues when they offer them on purpose as a choice like they do at Christmas.

She also told me ALL the stamp packs of David Bowie went like hot cakes, just goes to prove how right the RM was with producing that set.

It also goes to show what really keeps the P.O counters are kept open by.

When she was telling me this I had a very strange feeling of the things I have made in comment in here that RM do have a means to a purpose and unfortunately the stamp collector is part of it. Having said that, I wonder how many of those who purchased a pack were actually David Bowie fans rather than stamp collectors!!!!

It is with this fact in mind and after all that I have said about "C" and illegal stamps I can now see why stamp issues are the way to collect and indeed machines, so the thread about disillusion of collecting stamp packs now takes on a whole new meaning but I still understand the cost element etc etc and considering there is the extra in info and packaging I think the only way to make a stamp pack affordable to a collect is by not using the higher values and go the other way instead, use lesser values such as 1st, 2nd large and normal and two values of lesser which with combined make up the value of 1st large or normal or 2nd.

This is something that will only make RM change if something like the Stamp Magazine or collectors writing to RM can change! We can all sit here and moan but it is us that keep it alive.

Julian16/03/2017 19:25:43
383 forum posts
182 photos

rm.jpg

rm1.jpg

Alex17/03/2017 11:08:16
477 forum posts
121 photos

Julian, these collectors' guides have been around for some time and are readily available at most POs. Some folk even collect them in their own right. I have some from the 1980s.

img_8795.jpg

They detailed what was being issued by RM and when. They were at that time larger than the leaflets you get today and opened out as posters for kids to hang on their walls.

img_8798.jpg

Back in the 1970s / 80s there was the Stamp Bug which was a bit of fun. Pity they don't use him anymore!

img_8807.jpg

I came to Britain in the 1980s so that is the Golden Age of British philately for me on a purely personal level. The stamps were full of beauty and they taught me much about the culture and history of my adopted homeland.

s

Carmen17/03/2017 11:56:55
489 forum posts
55 photos

That's really interesting, guys. Yes, here in Canada, we can download Details Magazine by Canada Post which provides an update and background descriptions etc. for all upcoming stamp issues. A very well-produced, beautiful magazine, available free of charge on the Canada Post website (or even in paper copy!) Here is an example link:

**LINK**

By the way, Julian, if it's a Cheeky Carmen pic you're looking for, I'm free to oblige, from a hockey game my husband and I went to a couple of weeks ago:

mike and me - 2017 sens game.jpg

Julian17/03/2017 18:24:02
383 forum posts
182 photos

Awe yes but I did not know the Stamp Bug, thats why she joked how long I been collecting stamps???

However it is only from in here I have taken an interest through the posts. As I say I did post a comment about stamp packs and no one answered so bit the bullet and asked myself at Postie HQ. And indeed today a lady in front of me was asking about "David Bowie" stamps.

That's what she called this little booklet "Stamp Bug".

Now the thing is Alex do I stat collecting these issues, hmmmmmmmmm??

Julian17/03/2017 18:27:08
383 forum posts
182 photos

Aweeee CArmen you should be named Miss Canada SMILE of the Year, are you related to the Queen???

Still might be worth giving Bryan a ring, with a smile like that you could make money for advertising.

Lol the look on hubbies face, you obviously are infectious............

GJ both of you

Julian18/03/2017 11:16:59
383 forum posts
182 photos

Carmen I went to the link and saw the 2016 stamp press, being hit with that image of the Queen, I always said Margaret was prettier than her sister but wow not in that image. it shows Elizabeth as a young vibrant, vivacious woman, wow even I would marry her!!!!

Now I did not want to tell you this but I have admired Canadian stamps for some while and also again within that info is the Haunted Canada set, what a great set of stamps they are!!!!

Psst, I was also a fan of Due South and the relationship with Diefenbaker is very true, spirit work in the most fun ways. However the whole package made for one of the very best, if not the best TV cop programme EVER, that I have watched. As a kid I was enthralled with cop programmes, even the really tacky ones like CHIPS!!!

Carmen20/03/2017 11:06:27
489 forum posts
55 photos

Thanks Julian, you flatterer, you! Actually, I was just putting away some of the Haunted Canada stamps in my album the other day... I realized I had about 3 years of new issues (I temporarily keep them in stock books when they come out) that I had not cataloged so I go onto doing that to get caught up. I use the MOST excellent EZStamp software to do it. Best investment I ever made!

Julian21/03/2017 16:17:19
383 forum posts
182 photos

And what might the EZStamp be? Is this more code for "Ice Breaker" bars??? I use Word or if I want to be posh, Excel depends on how technical I feel. I only put images of the item onto it for reference and Insurance reasons. We are funny creatures, we collect all this stuff and often do we look at it, I open my folders only to put things in them most the time I use my software , although this is not fail safe by any means when you forget to update your software and then buy doubles he he he.

Such is life.angel

Carmen01/04/2017 16:36:39
489 forum posts
55 photos

Sorry for the late reply Julian, I haven't been around lately! EZStamp can be found out about here:

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers