By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Emblem on stamp

Star Use

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alex17/03/2017 11:15:26
537 forum posts
3 photos

Sorry, I just had to laugh out loud when you said this wasn't a political forum. Stamps are political and have always been so. They show the values, beliefs and ideology of the nations producing them and serve a propaganda and cultural usage for everyone who looks at them, whether by their own citizens or by foreigners.

10e2409d8e59b9c06595afe13e3d2197.jpg

Julian17/03/2017 11:46:03
595 forum posts
253 photos

Your more than welcome Alex, its good to LOL.

So this guy on this stamp is to do with freedom of speech, as I cant see his name I cant google it.

Freedom of speech, I remember that, died about 1990 with the Nanny state here and John Major.

Political correctness in other words meaning pandering to the non majority for votes which then goes to far the other way. Remembering of course English words can mean different things.such as "I feel so gay to day"?

Or when someone says something and is challenged yet the person who is challenging can wear an offensive piece of clothing and gets away with it. If you understand the mechanism of whats happening around the world we can see the meaning of all this.

Everything is but an illusion?

Carmen17/03/2017 11:47:35
500 forum posts
56 photos

Ah, Norman Rockwell, I love that guy. Probably because I originally went into Law and that was because to this day I have a rather high view of humans and our universal rights, and I thought he really portrayed some of them well, like the man above, standing up to have his say. Now if only the idiots who are trying to take those rights away from people would remember them. And I don't mean just the States, I mean EVERYWHERE.

The ONE THING we don't have a "right" to, I'm sorry to inform most of the politically correct crowd today, is to "NOT be offended", ya know? Oy.

Thus endeth the rant.

As for my pic, dear Alex, no my husband was nowhere to be seen, dainties and all! It was kindly taken for us by a professional photographer at our Church who offered to take staff pics to thanks us for all our hard work, What a sweetie she is. Nor is that picture the most accurate anymore... I've lost 49 lbs since it was taken! laugh

Alex17/03/2017 14:09:25
537 forum posts
3 photos

I worked as a RN for 25 years and therefore now have a very low view of humans, but that is another story! And no, I no longer work as a RN!

However, I also love Norman Rockwell and have enjoyed his paintings since my early teens. The above stamp / painting was one of a series he did promoting the values and rights which were being defended in WWII.

Some years back I was fortunate in being able to buy a USPS FDC for his 1972 Tom Sawyer stamp issue which was signed by him. It is one of the gems in my Wild West collection (Tom Sawyer had his adventures in Missouri and on the Mississippi river which was, of course, the Gateway To The West).

img_8813.jpg

Julian17/03/2017 18:12:26
595 forum posts
253 photos

That is a very Commendable job Alex, well done. You must be a Leo or Cancer star sign.

Yes sounds like a good person does Norman Rockwell.

Julian17/03/2017 18:14:00
595 forum posts
253 photos

Well done Minxy for losing 49 Lbs in weight.

Alex17/03/2017 20:47:16
537 forum posts
3 photos

I'm not into astrology, Julian, but I do like these stamps....hint hint!

cap1.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

Norman Rockwell was a popular painter who painted all sorts of small town Americana.

normanrockwell.jpg

I was in the boy scouts and he did many paintings of them which is how I got to know his work originally. His body of work is widely shown on stamps from several African countries, also some Pacific islands. He covered many aspects of American culture and history from the early 20th century right up to his death in the late 1970s and his work is mainly of a sentimental nature.

Julian18/03/2017 10:48:42
595 forum posts
253 photos

O.K I am now going to use my Psychic skills rather than my Astrology ones, I bet your a Capricorn, right?

I actually have the San Marino set and some others too!

That Norman Rockwell says a lot about me so I just LOVE it. I wonder if many, see the clues to its funny side?

Now I find it hilarious. Now when I was a child (I still am), I was very into when drawing producing that style in wording. My brother used to do really good art work and thus I could only produce this bold wording to make up for my lack of skill in drawing, again this hit me straight away with his stamp and took me back to that age, so in fact that stamp is personal to me.

NOW if we was reviewing that stamp as in RM stamp pack on that stamp alone and through bias it would be a strike with 5/5 on all criteria!!! Within that stamp is SOOOOOOOO much information its just crammed with information, its like a B&W movie, you have to listen to the words rather than the image to get the story. Meaning you can watch a B&W movie many times and find something new it every time.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values