Canadian Stamp Collecting podcast...

A new podcast for collectors of Canadian stamps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alex15/03/2017 20:30:55
454 forum posts
69 photos

The Mounties always get their man.

11185802-canada-1935-postage-stamp-depicting-royal-canadian-mounted-police-stock-photo.jpg

The US police do a grand and difficult job within a mixed and varied and, at times, very demanding culture.

law_&_order_6c_1968_issue_u_s__stamp.jpg

Julian16/03/2017 11:43:07
335 forum posts
162 photos

Thank you for that Alex enjoyed reading and seeing those stamps. Love the Canada Loyalist with the Brit flag!!

I can feel Minxy chomping at the bit with her Maple flag?

As regard the Police stamps do you not feel a difference between the two depictions, maybe I am viewing it with a prejudice mind of knowledge! ALL police forces no matter where they are around this sick world today has a tuff job, especially when the courts just rubbish their hard work in bringing them to trial, just to give them a slapped hand and which is how the system has become so corrupt with lawyers and the courts? Whilst people vote for clowns, it is then left to us, to clear up their mess, upon which we voted them in for, to make good!

I can think of Mr T Blair as a good example and of course Mr G.Bush, these two should be held for war crimes amongst other things?

But yes the American policeman stamp dates the release to era and can you tell us Alex when that stamp is dated? I am guessing pre 1970 and the Mountie stamp is harder to guess because the print of that stamp design is also used a lot so maybe even older than the USA one? In fact the values on the stamps tell a story.

Carmen17/03/2017 12:05:27
485 forum posts
54 photos

The Loyalist stamp was issued in 1984. And yes, the loyalists figure in my husband's family since a bunch of them indeed came here from the States. In fact, my sister in law (who is far more old-fashioned about these thing than we are), has been known to put UEL (which stands for United Empire Loyalist) at the end of her name, along with her degree, on formal paperwork.

As for being an O'Donnell by marriage, Happy St. Patricks Day to you all! My husband is descended from Red Hugh himself! Tonight we're going to a St. Patrick's Day Dinner at the Officer's Mess, which he and a colleague organised, complete with an Irish meal including Guinness Pie of course... and ending with a good old Irish Coffee! Woohoo!

Alex17/03/2017 20:56:53
454 forum posts
69 photos

Julian, the Canadian Mounties stamp is from the mid 1930s, I believe, while the American stamp is from 1968.

The Canadian stamp is of a more traditional rigid heroic design, common to the era it was produced in. I actually like the American stamp better as it shows the policeman for what he is, a public servant. He therefore seems more real to life, more approachable. The design shows the social realism of the 1960s.

Edited By Alex on 17/03/2017 21:25:41

Julian18/03/2017 10:34:44
335 forum posts
162 photos

Yes The Mountie stamp design was used a lot in American/Canada stamps I have seen many of them with that pattern behind or around the image. Would I be right in assuming this is Litho as well.

The American stamps is definitely that of the 60's when the policeman was to be trusted where as today its all about who you prove to be rather than who you suspect to be and judged by political fools such as the CPS, if not then the courts.

Our police force today is the filling for a sandwich which is quite fitting, as when they changed over to using the new design of orange and red strip down the center of the car and were called "Jam Sandwich" aweeee the days of the Panda car lol lol.

I like the Mountie because they portray old fashioned policing such as the use of a horse but considering their terrain a horse was more fitting as well.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers