By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Postmarks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith DUFFY03/03/2017 14:48:54
6 forum posts
7 photos

I have been collecting stamps for about 60years, and have amassed a considerable number of stamps. Like many other "collectors" I have got stamps everywhere.

I have got shoe boxes full of loose stamps, postmarks, old envelopes etc., mainly dating from 1920-1950.

Not being a collector of postmarks, I know nothing about them.

I have come across this piece, which someone has written "Rare 1249" Can anyone help as to its "usefulness" and what I can do with the rest of these postmarks etc

img20170303_14000231.jpg

Paul Davey 103/03/2017 16:57:09
329 forum posts
26 photos

The King's Roll slogan cancel is listed in Collect British Postmarks at £8, 1/4 of that value on a cut-out. It was used in around 50 offices in 1926 so some must be rarer than others but I have no way of knowing if Weston Super Mare is a "goodun". Can't help with the 1249 - the bible of slogan postmarks by Parsons, Peachey and Pearson give it number 37.

Julian03/03/2017 19:21:22
518 forum posts
229 photos

Is the 1249 not a post cancel number?? Admittedly mine are very recent but all my cancel marks have a 4 digit number which reflects to Cat, EVEN though I do not know which one myself. I do not doubt what Paul is saying but maybe it is in reference to a different Cat.

Geoff who runs the GB illustrated special event covers & Handstamps Postmarks might be a good port of call to contact as well. Pauls database of knowledge is probably right but worth a check, I did not know the area made a difference as to rarity, so what do I know!!!

I would have thought to its usefulness, someone would love that in their collection if not just for the stamps but looking at condition I think the postmark makes this worth having rather than the stamps, its obviously why its been kept as is.

Geoff CHILDS03/03/2017 20:51:13
1355 forum posts
1309 photos

All,

Concur with Paul that cat number in the General Slogan Section of Parsons Peachey and Pearson is 37. This is the definitive ref. book

In the collect British Postmarks by Stanley Gibbons they refer to the Parsons, Peachey and Pearson numbers.

So what is '1249' Written in pencil as is the word Rare.

My current thoughts or should I say a guess is that it is perhaps a previous owners ref no for their collection.

Geoff (GBCC) www.gbcovercollector.co.uk

Keith DUFFY03/03/2017 20:57:30
6 forum posts
7 photos

Many thanks for all the replies.

That has helped me considerably

Julian04/03/2017 16:02:52
518 forum posts
229 photos

Hi Geoff,

I know my cancels are more recent than this but on some of the pics I sent you, these same pencil markings and 4 digit numbers are the same? I naturally assumed they were Cat numbers, so this does not have to follow then, they could just be someones form or identification?

Geoff CHILDS05/03/2017 08:10:56
1355 forum posts
1309 photos
Posted by Julian on 04/03/2017 16:02:52:

Hi Geoff,

I know my cancels are more recent than this but on some of the pics I sent you, these same pencil markings and 4 digit numbers are the same? I naturally assumed they were Cat numbers, so this does not have to follow then, they could just be someones form or identification?

Julian,

That would be my view in this particular case as the number does not match any recognised ref. book that I have access /aware off.

With my own collection I write on the rear of the cover the Pearson , Peachey, etc number from their publications.

I have also seen on a number of covers I have purchased numbering which in my view was an earlier owner's own ref/index system.

Geoff (GBCC) www.gbcovercollector.co.uk

Carmen07/03/2017 12:21:33
489 forum posts
55 photos

I don't collect postmarks or anything but I came across one as I was sorting some stamps the other day, which I will keep... it really shows the changes in the notion of mail in the last 50 years. This one, on a Canadian Wilding QEII stamp, said

"Post early and often throughout the day."

Wow... now it might be replaced by "Try to mail a letter with a stamp on it at least twice a year, pleeeeeeeease?! We're losing a lot of money!"

laugh

Julian07/03/2017 20:31:13
518 forum posts
229 photos

Its how my FDC collecting got out of hand was through cancel marks and the way I feel at the moment its a damn sight safer collecting them than stamps..........

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values