Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Windsor Castle

Windsor Castle

Issued on February 15, 2017

Julian10/02/2017 12:46:48
619 forum posts
260 photos

Now I think this is a slightly lower verdict in score than I would give although its around about the same in verdict. One has to remember these places usually do not allow people to take pictures when visiting and when you consider the cost of admission I think the verdict is lacking. So commemorative worth, yes its a weak anniversary but does that matter to the stamps? Again I am bias because I love castles. So commemorative worth yes 3/5. Quality of design, i disagree with, if your using images there's not much scope for design and the images are fine 3 outside and inside seem fair, so I would give 4/5.

Wow factor, I think if someone received this in their mail they would be very happy as this is an iconic structure and carries much of our history, so again I think 4/5 possibly 5/5 depending how I received it ha ha ha. However there are many castles around England and probably more picturesque in setting.

If I compare this set with the Ancient Britain set, I personally would far rather have castles then these.

Carmen10/02/2017 12:53:04
500 forum posts
56 photos

I actually find them quite nice. My one critique would be the fact that there are views of large rooms on a small stamp... not always the best medium. But definitely nice-looking.

Julian10/02/2017 16:31:40
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Carmen, emmm is true I suppose, maybe that's why the lowered the design factor in rating but your never going to win in place like that as all rooms are huge I would think. You have me thinking because its actually the fire they are in anniversary of and not the castle so I suppose they should have shown a picture of a damaged room before and after sort of thing. Its funny when someone comments how your thought and perception can change. So drop design to 3 / 5 then.

Alex12/02/2017 12:49:48
543 forum posts
3 photos

Hmmm, I suppose it has been twenty five years since that fire.

However I think it could also be because it is the 100th anniversary since the German royals became English!

It was in 1917 that they changed from the Germanic Battenberg clan to the more Anglo-Saxon sounding Mountbattens and the whole lot became the Windsors!

Julian12/02/2017 19:30:58
619 forum posts
260 photos

I am surprised RM missed that one Alex, I would never have been able to tell you when the fire was let alone their clans. I have always known about German connections but that's about it!

I do remember reading that they are totally dysfunctional as a family and that they communicate via notes and messages, at least in Buckenham Palace.

Julian06/03/2017 01:23:50
619 forum posts
260 photos

Been Watching on the net C4 royalty series, very interesting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
STAMPS OF THE BRITISH ARABIA 2
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values