By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Advice About Stamp Mounts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson14/02/2017 12:01:49
49 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for the helpful replies. My stamps are mostly commemorative and all different shapes and sizes. I don't know if you can put different shapes and sizes in one strip of mounts, but I have a lot of stamps, which I just want to get displayed in albums and which I have no intention of selling. I also don't have the time to work with stamp mounts, but was thinking of using a stock album for the new, un-franked stamps and the self-adhesive ones that have a sticky residue even after soaking.

Thanks for your tip about Ziploc bags, Carmen. I am already doing that, having learned my lesson about damp hinges. Just wondering, do you often use picture corners or just for sheets of stamps? I am with you on the looking for something everywhere except in the place which should have been obvious. I wouldn't have thought to look there either as I am not that organized so have often been surprised to find I've put something where I should have put it.

By the way, this is the most active stamp forum I know of. I have joined several on Yahoo, but they mostly post about stamps they have for sale or exchange and there is zilch conversation.

Thanks,

Gillian

Carmen14/02/2017 13:08:29
464 forum posts
49 photos

Yeah, I will mostly use them with any kind of larger sheet.

There was another massive stamp forum I had joined, but I stopped using it because people were so NASTY. One time, a guy pretty much called another guy an idiot for asking the question he asked, so I just stepped in and said essentially, "hey folks... let 's be nice to people as they get started collecting!"

Believe or not, a Moderator sent ME an email saying that if I DID THAT AGAIN, I WOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE FORA!

My jaw literally dropped. And that was that on THAT forum. I could NOT believe it.

NO SUCH FOLK HERE... this is a terrific place to ask all our questions, whether they're considered stupid or not! And, of course, that's because there are NO stupid questions, see?!

Thanks everyone! And Happy Valentine's Day too! heartkiss

Edited By Carmen on 14/02/2017 13:09:26

Julian14/02/2017 14:24:13
272 forum posts
145 photos

Hi Gillian the sticky Adhesives they seem to advise either dusting with talcum powder or to re mount the stamp on I think Glassine but again I cannot remember exactly, there was one article that the guy was very interesting to watch and gave good advice. The link is below.

**LINK**

However as I have just learned with Paul there are good reasons why not to use such methods so again it really comes back to you as a collector?

Some of the things I have seen on Utube though are terrible and just make you cringe!

I have come to the conclusion though with stamps in any aspect, because of the nature of stamp material, it is hard keeping them in any form as one way or another paper degrades and is affected by so many issues.

So I don't think there is a clear winner overall and for me it boils down to space in my house.

Julian14/02/2017 14:32:43
272 forum posts
145 photos

Sorry Carmen I never saw your previous post but way to funny my dear.

I started this aging thing a tad before 50!!!! My memory is shot, so I know all about chuckling from both angles.

Julian14/02/2017 14:43:46
272 forum posts
145 photos

talking of memory I just realised my Avitar not been updated crying I thought I'd give Diana a rest huh. Katy sarcastic 2

HAPPY VALENTINES ALL YOU GIRLSbroken heart

Craig Marshall19/02/2017 16:45:11
4 forum posts

I buy old packs of hinges on Ebay- the ones made 30-49 years ago before they stopped being peelable.

I mainly use mounts but since I have some inexpensive previously hinged stamps I hinge those.

Carmen23/02/2017 12:42:35
464 forum posts
49 photos

Hey Craig, that's actually a really smart idea. I do recall those hinges were far more "removable" than the ones produced today, at least where the paper of the album is concerned, It inevitably leaves marks on mine, although not on the stamp itself, which is perhaps more important.

Gillian Hutchinson24/02/2017 19:31:27
49 forum posts
1 photos

Carmen, people can be so unpleasant, can't they?

Julian, I heard that idea before, about the talcum powder. I did try it at the time and it appeared to work wonderfully, but I haven't come across any stamps recently that kept their stickiness even after soaking. I did also hear it wasn't such a good idea to use talcum powder.

Gillian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim 7
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values