By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Advice About Stamp Mounts

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson28/09/2016 18:47:55
52 forum posts
1 photos

I have run out of stamp hinges and am hoping to buy some more, as well as some stamp mounts. I was thinking of buying Stanley Gibbons hinges - unless someone advises against it - but I have no idea what kind of mounts to buy or how they work.

Advice please.

Gillian

Julian29/09/2016 11:38:18
376 forum posts
180 photos

Hi Gillian,

I suppose its down to what your mounting the stamps on or in foremost and price and so forth.

Personally I would NEVER use hinges, unless you intend to keep them permanently. Even then I feel that the stamp has been tainted. I have used plastic corner mounts and made my own mounts "Blue Peter style" and all manner of plastic mounts. Of course there are also so many names that sell as well, so the world is your oyster the only thing with plastic mounts they do tend to make your pages thicker quickly if using ring binders/folders and thus can make the pages unsightly.

Most mounts come pre glued that you moisten or like bend and peel style which are used for all manner of things from photos to post cards. Of course the main thing is, how they appeal to you as a collector. The thing I like about the moisten plastic kind is, if you use you head and plan things and then at a later date change your mind you can gently un peal them and re use, if you have not moistened the whole back. I have re used many plastic mounts in this way.

I have even re used them from collections such as Westminster. They do not look nice taken from their page but once stuck back down they are OK. I use Pritt sticks, as most times they do peel paper off with them.

Again, if you look on Ebay you will see a whole variety of them.

However in saying all that, I prefer albums or glassine type mounting, I know they take up huge amounts of room but they do look good.

So if you been using hinges and don't mind them, I would stick with what you know.

Julian

Gillian Hutchinson14/10/2016 19:06:01
52 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Julian,

I bought Stanley Gibbons stamp hinges enline. Some are stuck together and difficult to separate, which is rather disappointing. I'm using those for used stamps and hope to order stamp mounts for unused stamps and used stamps which have a sticky residue left on them. I just don"t know what size or how many to get.

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Gillian

Paul Doyle11/01/2017 12:12:32
16 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Gillian Hutchinson on 14/10/2016 19:06:01:

Hi Julian,

I bought Stanley Gibbons stamp hinges enline. Some are stuck together and difficult to separate, which is rather disappointing. I'm using those for used stamps and hope to order stamp mounts for unused stamps and used stamps which have a sticky residue left on them. I just don"t know what size or how many to get.

Would appreciate any advice on this matter.

Thanks,

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

Hinges can leave a mark, even on used stamps, which can spoil them a bit. I always use mounts now, which means the stamps don't get anything stuck to them. It also means the stamps can easily be moved around if required. I used Hawid (or Lighthouse- they are the same) mounts. They come in two varieties, clear and black. They also come in different sizes, either ready cut (for example the 21 x 24 size is to fit single definitives), or in long strips which you cut yourself. Without a guillotine it is difficult to cut them perfectly straight, so I usually buy ready-cut ones when they are available. If you are unsure of what sizes to get, best make the first order from a dealer you can speak to and they can tell you what sizes you need for the stamps you have.

Paul Robson 513/01/2017 15:09:26
1 forum posts

I would never use hinges either. I buy packs of Hawid Stamp Mounts, 21mm x 210mm. I trim them at one end to fit the page, then stick them onto the page just by the very edge so the adhesive doesn't show. My standard pages take 5 strips, but I can make up pages of 6 strips if necessary.

Tom Falater09/02/2017 13:29:33
1 forum posts

I agree with Julian about the hinge mounts. I would NEVER use them as they do taint the stamp. Tom Falater

Trevor Bishop 110/02/2017 07:22:03
87 forum posts
40 photos
Hi Gillian ,
I also bought SG hinges and like you have found they stick together in the packet & after a time curl up in the packet which is a real pain to straighten out and put on a stamp. However they are cheap if you're putting in A LOT of stamps . The Hawid type mounts as others have are best , the black ones do set the stamp off nicely but are quite costly if you decide to re mount a large collection , I think they worked out about 5p/ stamp so worth it . I have usually bought them in strips in job lots at auction or eBay ,but make sure you know what height size you will need . I also bought a guillotine & it really is one of the best things I've bought ! I think mine was by Prinz on eBay, definitely saves lots of time & gives truely square cut mounts . Regarding hinges again - I did find that although they're thin they do cause a little bump in the stamp and I found to my cost that if you use albums where a picture of the stamp you're sticking in is on the opposite page it caused some of the ink from the image to rub onto the face of the stamp , not ideal if it's a mostly white stamp.
Hope that's helpful
Trev
Carmen10/02/2017 12:43:55
489 forum posts
55 photos

One tip re - hinges. They ARE sensitive to humidity, so I started keeping my packets in a ziplock bag, and haven't had a problem since.

Julian11/02/2017 19:21:06
376 forum posts
180 photos

smiles @ Carrmen, and we all know where now as well, but I wont tellblush

Carmen13/02/2017 13:10:47
489 forum posts
55 photos

Ah, now that wasn't me, that was GILLIAN! Mine are kept in my living room and office (although who KNOWS what kinky things go on there too?!)

On a similar funny note, can we discuss "aging" a moment...? So yesterday I spend a half hour on my living room shelves and in my office looking for some picture corners to stick a sheet of stamps in an album... only to find them in the stamp box I got the sheet out of... where I had put them not to lose them... SIGH.

And if anyone here is not yet fifty and chuckling... YOUR DAY WILL COME, MY FRIEND!

cake crying 2 wink

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers