By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Donating Stamps to Charity Shops

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson01/08/2016 23:53:06
62 forum posts
2 photos

A lady came into the charity shop where I volunteer and asked if we had any stamps for sale. We didn't have any at the time, but I was wondering if it would be worthwhile donating any swaps I have to the shop. If so, how would we work out a price or would we just put them into small packs and charge a small amount for each? I don't know if they would sell, but I wondered how much we should be offering them at.

Thanks for any advice!

Gillian

Julian05/08/2016 11:47:04
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Gillian,

When donating to a charity shop you usually find they have a regular buyer, not that this is official to every shop mind.

I cut off all stamps on envelopes as I deal world wide and I save them up and just donate them. I would assume that each charity shop has there own way of pricing these but in no way can you look at it as a stamp collector's worth to the stamps. I am aware the bigger the charity shop as like BHF, Cancer Research etc usually have people they refer to get a idea of worth. They have become very savvy over the years but you still get bargains.

The charity shop I give to I did ask if they wanted them and she said "oh yes we have a man who comes in and we sell him bags of stamps". The rest you can deduce for yourself, I never asked what they charge as long as they get something I do not care. You only have to look on Ebay and see how the big charity shops work!

As with you, if you know the worth of a stamp and you work there, it would be up to you how you would advise on its selling value but if protocol is observed, you should just hand them to the manager and let them put or deal with the items as seen fit, the reason I say this is, you need to distance yourself away from what you give for obvious reasons?

Julian

Gillian Hutchinson28/09/2016 18:38:10
62 forum posts
2 photos

Julian, we don't have a regular buyer of stamps, but someone came in one day and asked if we had any stamps for sale. I don't really know the value of any stamps and don't have time to check them.

I'll just speak about it to the manageress and/or the assistant manageress and see what they feel about it, but they ask my opinion.

Gillian

Julian30/09/2016 11:10:28
619 forum posts
260 photos

Hi Gillian,

Truth be known I would love to know what my charity shop sells them for (out of curiosity). I suppose I take a bag in once every six months. I have only just learned myself how even bend and peel stamps have there oddities so I may be handing over good stamps but as you say if your giving them away, what is the point of trying to sort them.

If your shop does not have an adviser the manageress phones, then pick a number? That is why I give to charity because I really do not like selling things, at least with Ebay you can stick something on for 99p and let it find its own price. But I detest selling face to face and haggling. I currently have a motorcycle I want to get rid of and can I!! I don't want anything for it. But this is one of the things I would not sell through Ebay but the way things are going I might have to smiley but I really do not like the thought of doing it.

Gillian Hutchinson17/12/2016 21:29:28
62 forum posts
2 photos

I might put them into small ziplock bags and suggest we sell them at 20p per bag or 50p for 4 and see how it goes. If they don't sell, too bad. I'll send them to a friend who collects stamps.

Gillian

Ps What about your bike?

Julian18/12/2016 22:24:58
619 forum posts
260 photos

I think thats very fair Gillian. Its the thought that counts, so you will try, no on can expect more.

Lol my bike, now the intention was to at the end of summer to take it to the guys who service it and just ask them if they wanted it. That intention needed me to get a lift home and I was relying in a friend, whoever his daughter was pregnant and he was on stand by as her hubby works.

So its still in my front garden and what is worse, we had some high winds not long ago and its cover has torn through getting brittle they only last two years anyway. So I still have it, what will also make you laugh, I have been clearing out under my stairs and come up with an old railway tilley lamp, parrafin. I know that this will fetch good money through Ebay but the problem is its glass and sending glass through PO needs to be well packed and I just do not want that agro. So again it breaks my heart but this I feel will be going to charity shop!

I am not even sure you can get these glass covers any more if it does break.

Lol I am a truly funny old stick and getting worse every year

Wishing you a Merry Christmas, Julian

Alex19/12/2016 08:05:17
543 forum posts
3 photos

Julian

You do not need to just use ebay. If you're on facebook look for sites selling things in your town/ district. For example, the town I live in has several facebook pages/ groups where people buy and sell things. Everything from antiques, clothing, toys, cars and even houses.

I do my charity shop rounds every week looking for stamps and other things. I'm afraid that many times I have benefitted at the expense of the charity shop because, unless they employ an 'expert' to assess things brought in, most staff haven't a clue about some items, especially stamps and coins. I recently bought some 1949 - 1952 German stamps donated to them at a very low price (we're talking 20p / 50p for a bag of, say, twenty stamps). There were many duplicates but also full sets. Same with coins, bought some silver content coins for a pound or so. On the other hand, if an 'expert' has checked them they are usually priced way above their worth. (How many of us see the 1965 Churchill Crown being priced at £10 in charity shops when it is worth, maybe, 50p?) 

I also bought some KGII high value stamps cheap, also some KGI Seahorses cheap too. And a nice collection of early Iceland stamps.

I have, at times, tried to educate the staff on their stock but they usually aren't too concerned.

The smallest shops are usually the best. My best purchase recently was a 1930s bronze Austrian Madonna which I bought for £5. A search showed they fetch 300 euros. Do I feel guilty? No. But then again, I do not resell but keep my purchases because I only buy what I like, not because it may sell for more (I'm a collector, not a Bargain Hunt contestant!).

I suppose that folk should think twice about donating their old collections to a charity shop before checking its true value. If not, I will be there next week and will buy it for peanuts!

Edited By Alex on 19/12/2016 08:33:01

Julian29/12/2016 20:40:20
619 forum posts
260 photos

@ Alex, Hi my friend Happy New year to you, oh yes charity shops were a favourite haunt of mine but being a small town the regulars have already been there and done it. I don't think there is one who does not have a coin or stamp person booked in to take them. I have found charity shops to be very savvy with their stuff these days even clothes. You as you say though you can still find the odd bargain. I trolled charity shops even on holiday breaks so I understand your thinking.

I am not a Face Book fan I am afraid, nor most social media platforms, I find society just way to.......... cant find a word but I dislike all of it. How people can expect to post their lives on them and then get all upset when someone dislikes it baffles me.

I was unaware though that Face Book did that but like email accounts now, everything is interlinked and if someone wants to hack you they can! I was shocked when I joined the American Forum how much info you can obtain from someone and I just do not think people are aware of how open they are.

There is an old saying and I will refrain from saying it but we have become sheep to the slaughter, I am ever increasing hearing of people being hit online these days, probably because I am getting old and becoming a target through age myself.

I just wished I lived in America at times because the stuff that slips through my hands because of postage is uncountable on two hands. However I would not like to think of the size of house I would need to cope with it and again this is what I found with Charity shops the stuff I brought served its means and ended back in them ha ha ha, such as books and dvd or cd's.

I am glad I am not young though, I feel they will see all this bite their butts.

Happy New 2017 everyone,

Victor Meldrew ha ha ha

Alex31/12/2016 19:33:52
543 forum posts
3 photos

Yes, postage can be a problem.

However, if I want an item I'm prepared to pay postage for it.

I tend to send the seller a message asking for postage to be paid for by stamps and not a label, a little bonus for me if the seller complies.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

Carmen02/01/2017 14:14:19
500 forum posts
56 photos

Yes, one of my thrills with the approval company I use here in Canada (**LINK**) is that they are always careful to send us our stuff using old min stamps as postage... woohoo!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers