By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machines and stamp packs
20/03/2017 11:06:27

Thanks Julian, you flatterer, you! Actually, I was just putting away some of the Haunted Canada stamps in my album the other day... I realized I had about 3 years of new issues (I temporarily keep them in stock books when they come out) that I had not cataloged so I go onto doing that to get caught up. I use the MOST excellent EZStamp software to do it. Best investment I ever made!

Thread: Canadian Stamp Collecting podcast...
17/03/2017 12:05:27

The Loyalist stamp was issued in 1984. And yes, the loyalists figure in my husband's family since a bunch of them indeed came here from the States. In fact, my sister in law (who is far more old-fashioned about these thing than we are), has been known to put UEL (which stands for United Empire Loyalist) at the end of her name, along with her degree, on formal paperwork.

As for being an O'Donnell by marriage, Happy St. Patricks Day to you all! My husband is descended from Red Hugh himself! Tonight we're going to a St. Patrick's Day Dinner at the Officer's Mess, which he and a colleague organised, complete with an Irish meal including Guinness Pie of course... and ending with a good old Irish Coffee! Woohoo!

Thread: Machines and stamp packs
17/03/2017 11:56:55

That's really interesting, guys. Yes, here in Canada, we can download Details Magazine by Canada Post which provides an update and background descriptions etc. for all upcoming stamp issues. A very well-produced, beautiful magazine, available free of charge on the Canada Post website (or even in paper copy!) Here is an example link:

**LINK**

By the way, Julian, if it's a Cheeky Carmen pic you're looking for, I'm free to oblige, from a hockey game my husband and I went to a couple of weeks ago:

mike and me - 2017 sens game.jpg

Thread: Emblem on stamp
17/03/2017 11:47:35

Ah, Norman Rockwell, I love that guy. Probably because I originally went into Law and that was because to this day I have a rather high view of humans and our universal rights, and I thought he really portrayed some of them well, like the man above, standing up to have his say. Now if only the idiots who are trying to take those rights away from people would remember them. And I don't mean just the States, I mean EVERYWHERE.

The ONE THING we don't have a "right" to, I'm sorry to inform most of the politically correct crowd today, is to "NOT be offended", ya know? Oy.

Thus endeth the rant.

As for my pic, dear Alex, no my husband was nowhere to be seen, dainties and all! It was kindly taken for us by a professional photographer at our Church who offered to take staff pics to thanks us for all our hard work, What a sweetie she is. Nor is that picture the most accurate anymore... I've lost 49 lbs since it was taken! laugh

Thread: Penny Red
17/03/2017 11:39:11

Very cool... I like how they incorporated the original maltese cross postmark into their postmark!

Thread: David Bowie
15/03/2017 11:37:40

Oh Julian, you're BAD! devil

Thread: Advice About Stamp Mounts
15/03/2017 11:36:54

LOL! You kids make me laugh!

15/03/2017 11:35:11

Indeed, gentlemen, you both make some good points.

I am French by birth. Although I was born in Quebec City (I'm an army brat), my family is French Acadian from New Brunswick. We left Quebec to move to Ottawa in 1972 when I was six, so I really can't relate to Quebec as a culture and I definitely consider Acadia and NB to be "home" for me.

In fact, at one point when one of their especially-separatist leaders, Pauline Marois, tried to decree forbidding religious symbols of any kind throughout the province - it was almost as if the woman had "forgotten" that we live in a country with a Charter of Rights and Freedoms - I was so embarrassed and ashamed of the behaviour that I decided I would no longer even admit I was born there. I'd just smile and say "my family's from New Brunswick." Fortunately for the province and the rest of the country, the woman got the boot in short order at the next election and things seem to have settled since then.

Half my family is now American, though, because my grandfather retired in Connecticut with 4 of his kids in the 50s. Only my mum and uncle remained in Canada.

As for me, in spite of being French, I am one of those Quaint and Boring Loyalists, being a firm Monarchist since my time in England.

Thread: Emblem on stamp
15/03/2017 11:23:50

"That's right, mister, replies Minxy Carmen, that's because you've got your priorities STRAIGHT!" laugh

cdn flag.jpg

12/03/2017 12:13:20

Cool Dave... and the reason you kept it is because you're a collector, dude!

12/03/2017 12:02:35

Oh no sir, I wouldn't DARE! laugh

From the Canadian Postal Archives: " In a quick, five-minute photo opportunity outside Buckingham Palace during the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, Adams took this informal portrait".

11/03/2017 13:59:04

Actually, Julian, the pic was taken on the outside of the palace against one of the walls, maybe under a portico?

You're right, that remark of Alex's is hilarious!

11/03/2017 13:55:30

Believe it or not there are websites where people put up pictures of old chocolate bar wrappers, but since I collect little bits of paper off used envelopes, I really feel no need to judge...

teeth 2

11/03/2017 13:52:37

Indeed sir. From as early as 1868 until the 1960s we had used the Red Ensign, although it had never been formally adopted by the Canadian government:

red ensign.jpg

Of course, there was much ballyhooing at the time, but we do seem to have settled down since (as have the Americans, who have been known to wear the Canadian flag, well respected overseas, rather than an American one... surprise)

I personally am Most Proud to be a Canadian, especially since it's my homeland's 150th birthday this year. Party on, honey!

cdn flag.jpg

10/03/2017 12:25:00

Yes Canada Post has also started to get into pop culture with its own series of Canadian stars of both pop, rock, folk and opera etc. Nice to see, actually.

Our own Bryans Adams has actually made it into their catalogue twice, for two separate reasons, the second time on his own merits as one of Canada's great Rock exports in 2009:

bryan adams.jpg

But back in 2003, he was honoured for his talent as an amateur photographer when one of his portraits of the Queen was chosen as her definitive for that year. It was again chosen in 2004 with a new colour for the price change to 50c (by the way, this one here was actually made up of six different colours for security reason):

adams - qeii.jpg

I like the picture - it shows that great smile the Queen has been blessed with. It was taken during a "5-minutes-per photographer" photo-op that photographers were given at Buckingham Palace.

Who says all rock stars can do is make noise? Of course, if you think that, may I also refer you to Dr. Brian May, Astrophysicist?

cool

10/03/2017 11:57:25

Your LAST ROLO, Julian! You are TRULY the soul of generosity my friend! laugh

Do you know what I miss badly from my days in England, and unless I'm mistaken, they no longer make them (someone can confirm that?) is the Cadbury's Icebreaker bar (chocolate and crunchy mint green pieces). YUM! If you still do have those back there, let me know and I will arrange to order some from you.

England was also responsible for introducing me to the Chocolate Creme Egg, a favourite still today... love

Edited By Carmen on 10/03/2017 11:57:55

09/03/2017 12:23:57

Oh dear, Julian, that does seem to be "a thing" with you! laugh

The other day he had a podcast about the Canadian Flag stamps, but also included snippets of audio files around the whole discussion and debates of the creation of the new Canadian flag back in '64. It was really interesting. I appreciate the amount of work/research he has put into these podcasts.

09/03/2017 12:20:58

I think Julian is referring to "Cinderellas", stamps that look like stamps but aren't actually postage stamps. An example here in Canada would be the Lung Association stamps people used to stick on their envelopes year ago.

07/03/2017 12:33:23

Hey folks! Did you see that note in the latest Stamp mag about someone having started a podcast about collecting Canadian stamps? Cool! So I went and subscribed to it... I think I'm going to enjoy it as they are just short little podcasts of 10-15 mins each dealing with a particular series or event in Canadian Postal History.

Very cool. My only comment is that the guy mispronounces (of all the words in our world to mispronounce), "Philatelic"! cheeky

**LINK**

Thread: Postmarks
07/03/2017 12:21:33

I don't collect postmarks or anything but I came across one as I was sorting some stamps the other day, which I will keep... it really shows the changes in the notion of mail in the last 50 years. This one, on a Canadian Wilding QEII stamp, said

"Post early and often throughout the day."

Wow... now it might be replaced by "Try to mail a letter with a stamp on it at least twice a year, pleeeeeeeease?! We're losing a lot of money!"

laugh

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim 7
Guernsey post November
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers