By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Diana events of 2000 Guinee
25/02/2017 13:04:59

Thanks Julian! This really does bring to the fore what different people think is important regarding history, doesn;t it?

Thread: Central African Republique
25/02/2017 13:03:11

You got THAT right Julian! laugh #hescaughton

Actually using the word Centrafricaine is simply a contraction of Centre Africaine, in the same way as the English language uses "they're" instead of "they are".

You guys just reminded me of a scene in "Yes, Prime Minister", to the effect of...

"Be careful, PM, or our enemies will hear about it!"

"The Russians...?"

"No, THE FRENCH! Everyone already knows about the Russians!"

laugh

Thread: Help with a French stamp...
25/02/2017 12:57:54

Yeah, so I guess "perfins", the one word I couldn't remember at the time, is the one that made a difference... sigh. wink

Thanks!

24/02/2017 12:12:25

Hey, thanks all! My own comments:

Alex:

- thanks for reminding me of the term "perfin". I COULD NOT remember what the word was as I was posting.. an age-50 moment! smiley

- You are also correct that there is indeed an old stiff paper hinge on the back of the stamp blocking the initial holes

- Thanks a HEAP for solving the mystery. So my question is, how did you find the article? I tried googling french stamp with C.N. initials and got nothing that way, so I'm looking for help on search terms.

Julian:

- thanks for the tip about perfins adjusting stamp value... I wasn't aware of that, so that's good info to know.

- sorry I crooked your neck, my friend... I need to find the software on my computer that lets me rotate my pics because in some case I'll tell it to rotate and it does, but then goes right back to being upside down again... very annoying!

23/02/2017 13:18:08

... which I was trying to catalog this morning.

See the picture below, to begin with (sorry it's upside down, can't seem to fix that).

At first blush this appears to me to be a Scott #123a. the *imperf* version of 123, a 50-centime,1900 "Republic" stamp. If it is, it could have some value, perhaps in the several hundred dollars range. Very cool!

HOWEVER, this stamp also has some perforated letters on it and that's what I can't figure out is what its actual catalog number should be. The letters are "C.N."

Can anyone help? Are these some sort of government stamp or what, because I am not finding any help in my Scott catalog.

Obviously this might be the difference between "It's worth $" and "No, because of the letters C.N. it's actually only worth..."

Thanks in advance for any help, guys!

20170223_080709.jpg

Thread: Advice About Stamp Mounts
23/02/2017 12:42:35

Hey Craig, that's actually a really smart idea. I do recall those hinges were far more "removable" than the ones produced today, at least where the paper of the album is concerned, It inevitably leaves marks on mine, although not on the stamp itself, which is perhaps more important.

Thread: Hercule Poirot, Stamp Collector
20/02/2017 13:27:53

There is the book series by Lawrence Block featuring a stamp-collecting assassin named Keller. Here is the first paragraph of "Hit and Run":

"Keller drew his pair of tongs from his breast pocket and carefully lifted a stamp from its glassine envelope. It was one of Norway's endless Posthorn series, worth less than a dollar, but curiously elusive, and missing from his collection. He examined closely, held it to the light to make sure the paper hadn't thinned where a hinge had once secured it to an album page, and returned it to the envelope, setting it aside for purchase."

Later, we are told that, "When he travelled, he always brought along his copy of the Scott catalog..."

So thank you Lawrence Block for your research and detail.

That having said, I probably should re-read the book but in spite of his appealing character, I don't remember enjoying the book that much, so your mileage may vary.

Thread: Diana events of 2000 Guinee
20/02/2017 13:20:10

Well, I actually am a French Canadian so I'd have no trouble reading the sheets except that the print is too small for me to read in the pictures... sigh. The mystery goes on... obviously some of those events are notable... but still the mystery goes on...

Thread: HELP KATY
17/02/2017 12:31:46

Well I'm seeing Diana there right now... (in your two last posts above.

Thread: Royal Wedding 1981
14/02/2017 13:14:01

It is indeed, as I myself am a collector of royalty stamps, among my other interests (soccer, cats, Titanic and a category I've created I call "Irony" - that's things like a Cuban communist stamp issuing a stamp commemorating George Washington as if he was some sort of Red People's Liberator... another money grab by people who desp[ise capitalism... that kind of thing!). cheeky

And as for the cheekiness, you're welcome! devil

14/02/2017 13:08:29

Yeah, I will mostly use them with any kind of larger sheet.

There was another massive stamp forum I had joined, but I stopped using it because people were so NASTY. One time, a guy pretty much called another guy an idiot for asking the question he asked, so I just stepped in and said essentially, "hey folks... let 's be nice to people as they get started collecting!"

Believe or not, a Moderator sent ME an email saying that if I DID THAT AGAIN, I WOULD BE REMOVED FROM THE FORA!

My jaw literally dropped. And that was that on THAT forum. I could NOT believe it.

NO SUCH FOLK HERE... this is a terrific place to ask all our questions, whether they're considered stupid or not! And, of course, that's because there are NO stupid questions, see?!

Thanks everyone! And Happy Valentine's Day too! heartkiss

Edited By Carmen on 14/02/2017 13:09:26

Thread: Niger
14/02/2017 12:59:14

Really...? Titanic Film is considered an "event of the 20th century"? Apparently Niger missed out on A LOT!

laugh

Of yeah, and thanks for calling me a little Minx... I immediately thought of Mrs. Bucket ("that's Boo-quay...B-U-C-K-E-T"!) anytime she had dealings with "The Major" Tee hee!

Edited By Carmen on 14/02/2017 13:01:10

Thread: Royal Wedding 1981
13/02/2017 13:14:16

Ummm... from Upper Volta Post: "1983: Commemorating the Year We Wanted To Make More Money Off Royalty Stamp Collectors."

LOL! cheeky

Thread: Niger
13/02/2017 13:12:16

Hmmm interesting... a couple of events elude me though... can you print a list of all the events listed?

13/02/2017 13:10:47

Ah, now that wasn't me, that was GILLIAN! Mine are kept in my living room and office (although who KNOWS what kinky things go on there too?!)

On a similar funny note, can we discuss "aging" a moment...? So yesterday I spend a half hour on my living room shelves and in my office looking for some picture corners to stick a sheet of stamps in an album... only to find them in the stamp box I got the sheet out of... where I had put them not to lose them... SIGH.

And if anyone here is not yet fifty and chuckling... YOUR DAY WILL COME, MY FRIEND!

cake crying 2 wink

Thread: The Great Fire of London issue
10/02/2017 12:56:48

Thanks, Julian, that makes me feel a bit better... besides I have Liverpool and football to give me true joy so...

devil

(although Liverpool sucks these days... bring back Kevin Keegan, I say!

Thread: Windsor Castle
10/02/2017 12:53:04

I actually find them quite nice. My one critique would be the fact that there are views of large rooms on a small stamp... not always the best medium. But definitely nice-looking.

10/02/2017 12:43:55

One tip re - hinges. They ARE sensitive to humidity, so I started keeping my packets in a ziplock bag, and haven't had a problem since.

Thread: The Great Fire of London issue
07/02/2017 12:03:57

Us Canadians wish we were back living in England so WE could participate in the contests... sigh. crying

Thread: Ancient Britain
06/02/2017 12:24:45

I think it's still possible to encourage kids simply using packets of used stamps, none of which cost very much even today.

That having been said, yeah I can't see a child being able to get into collecting new issues at these prices (well at least not without willing parent$!)

wink

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim 7
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values